When and How is Best time to Graft Zelkova Serrata

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Been searching the web and nothing specified when to take scions? buds for grafting nor what time year (elkhart indiana here ) so hoping to glean some knowledge for zelkova serrata specfically if possible . i am still goign trew all zelkova posts in forums to see if can find but didnt when seached it specfically thanks also what paste is best when doing so .

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone graft an zelkova. I don't recall seeing a threadgraft, though I'd imagine its doable. (Spring, before bud-break.) Scion grafting seems an exercise in over-doing it though, since zelkovas (and elms, which are often lumped in) bud profusely. If you still want to do it, I'd do it at budbreak as well.

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone graft an zelkova. I don't recall seeing a threadgraft, though I'd imagine its doable. (Spring, before bud-break.) Scion grafting seems an exercise in over-doing it though, since zelkovas (and elms, which are often lumped in) bud profusely. If you still want to do it, I'd do it at budbreak as well.
Was thinking of grafting a few goshiki branches on normal serrata and making a bonsai out of that sadly I've been unable to root anything from goshiki ao unsure if doing it wrong or just unable produce roots or harder to. Seen several types of graft techniques but since never had done any felt hest ask here to learn . That or find a tiny zelkova serrata goshiki to start with maybe

Was thinking of grafting a few goshiki branches on normal serrata and making a bonsai out of that sadly I've been unable to root anything from goshiki ao unsure if doing it wrong or just unable produce roots or harder to. Seen several types of graft techniques but since never had done any felt hest ask here to learn . That or find a tiny zelkova serrata goshiki to start with maybe
Try airlayering if you're not getting them to root. Zelkova sp. airlayers VERY well. There are threads here showing it. I believe cmeg1 has several threads on it from years ago.

While I have never had to graft zelkova I would treat it as for most other deciduous. Graft in spring before the buds start to open. In theory it is best to have dormant scions and active stock. To achieve that you collect scion wood a few weeks earlier and store it in plastic bags in the fridge until the stock starts to move.
In practice, dormant scions are self sustaining for a few weeks so we can collect scion from dormant plants up to 4 weeks before buds open and graft straight away onto dormant root stock. Healing will take place as the stock begins to move in the next couple of weeks.
Consider that zelkova is one of the last deciduous to leaf out in spring when thinking of timing for your grafts.

It is still possible to graft after buds are moving. Scions can be protected with plastic bag or with mummy graft wrap (as used with evergreen grafting) to reduce dehydration while they unite.

While I have never had to graft zelkova I would treat it as for most other deciduous. Graft in spring before the buds start to open. In theory it is best to have dormant scions and active stock. To achieve that you collect scion wood a few weeks earlier and store it in plastic bags in the fridge until the stock starts to move.
In practice, dormant scions are self sustaining for a few weeks so we can collect scion from dormant plants up to 4 weeks before buds open and graft straight away onto dormant root stock. Healing will take place as the stock begins to move in the next couple of weeks.
Consider that zelkova is one of the last deciduous to leaf out in spring when thinking of timing for your grafts.

It is still possible to graft after buds are moving. Scions can be protected with plastic bag or with mummy graft wrap (as used with evergreen grafting) to reduce dehydration while they unite.
Extremely informative thank you. I really apreciate the info alot .

Back
Top Bottom