Baking dish to bonsai pot?

This started out as a inexpensive bonsai pot thread and ended up a Tim The Toolman thread. Please explain Dario as you started it :p

har-har-har (sound of Tim the Toolman)

What can I say. I get these weird ideas and before you know it...it is a totally new hobby. Before this is over, I will have a kiln and making my own pots!!!! Then designing the next heat shield tile for the next generation space shuttle!!! lol

My wife constantly reminds me (in a subtle way) how many hobbies I went through the past 11 years we've been together. Most turned a lot more expensive than I thought they would be too! :rolleyes:

I understand - I am the noob in this house and although I have successfully collected a lot and kept it all alive for a couple years I am going to "work" on some things I have noted and sketched out. Yesterday in regards to one item she said "by the time that is done it will be 500 dollars" To which I replied "oh well" knowing she would think about me not saying one word about the investment to the entrance to the house which was at her request :p

Good info, I broke so many pots trying to drill them back in the day.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for interesting pottery.

I know I am a cheapskate but...has anyone considered or (better) tried turning ceramic baking dish into a bonsai pot?

Your thoughts on this? (good or bad)

Honest there was a lot of different Thoughts posted here. Keeping it in perspective I have done what you are thinking about just because it makes the "waiting" process a little more interesting and colorful. ANY container we modify and use we do not expect to use forever and we do not concern ourselves with baking plants, etc. I might just have more time then others but I look at all of the plants 3 times a day and in some areas I must move plants on occasion because they would bake no matter what they are in. There is nothing wrong with looking at fun and inexpensive things in many aspects of Bonsai. I do understand that "down the road" IF I have great success I will need to spend a bit to have proper pots and such but for now a few 50-75usd are sufficient.
I don't see it as being cheap as I can afford it. Just don't see a reason or have plants that command it. ;)

I know I am a cheapskate but...has anyone considered or (better) tried turning ceramic baking dish into a bonsai pot?

I see lots of nice baking dish (w/o any handles) that would make a cheap 12" or bigger bonsai pot (no feet though :( ) for around $10-$12. I actually bought a few and also couple diamond coring bit to drill the bottom holes to try.

Your thoughts on this? (good or bad)
I know what you are talking about, those are even more than I spend. I am an even mix of cheap and broke, so I use anything I can. My patio is full of plastic food containers and takeout food bonsai trays. I salvage, reuse, scrounge where ever I can. Later when you have a nice one, report in a nice pot. Until then use what you have. I'm about to use a 30 year old aluminum brownie pan for a bonsai rose I dug up today. Don't over think it, have fun and enjoy your trees. Your hobbies should not run you into debt. Enjoy your happy little trees.

I know what you are talking about, those are even more than I spend. I am an even mix of cheap and broke, so I use anything I can. My patio is full of plastic food containers and takeout food bonsai trays. I salvage, reuse, scrounge where ever I can. Later when you have a nice one, report in a nice pot. Until then use what you have. I'm about to use a 30 year old aluminum brownie pan for a bonsai rose I dug up today. Don't over think it, have fun and enjoy your trees. Your hobbies should not run you into debt. Enjoy your happy little trees.
If they're not driving you into debt, you're not doing it right 😁 😁 😁

If you're not ready to splurge on a bonsai pot, use what you have. I've drilled holes in so many different containers to hold trees, including a dog bowl. Diamond tipped bits are great from drilling into these.

Holy necrobump!
Yea this is the second thread from 2012/2013 that's been resurrected in the last 2 days. Considering the OP left the forum years ago never to return...people digging deep. In both cases it's someone who just joined and has 2 posts....kinda weird.

Back
Top Bottom