Baking dish to bonsai pot?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know I am a cheapskate but...has anyone considered or (better) tried turning ceramic baking dish into a bonsai pot?

I see lots of nice baking dish (w/o any handles) that would make a cheap 12" or bigger bonsai pot (no feet though :( ) for around $10-$12. I actually bought a few and also couple diamond coring bit to drill the bottom holes to try.

Your thoughts on this? (good or bad)

The problem is that a baking dish looks pretty much like a baking dish, even if it has a tree in it.

That may, or may not, be an issue for you, depending on what you want. For an interim pot, they can be fine. As a pot for a "finished" tree, notsomuch...

As for being a "cheapskate" on pots, you might think about the economics. A good bonsai pot is a permanent buy. The generally last longer than the tree in them. A good pot is meant to be used with a tree, and not a rack of lamb. They can provide the best esthetic base for all your work. Good pots, especially larger good pots, are expensive, but you won't have to spend more money to replace them with a "proper" pot down the road.

Good luck drilling them out...:D

I know I am a cheapskate but...has anyone considered or (better) tried turning ceramic baking dish into a bonsai pot?

I see lots of nice baking dish (w/o any handles) that would make a cheap 12" or bigger bonsai pot (no feet though :( ) for around $10-$12. I actually bought a few and also couple diamond coring bit to drill the bottom holes to try.

Your thoughts on this? (good or bad)

Honest my Wife and I found some that really were inexpensive and very nicely shaped - they are drilled and ready for her to use this Spring when more sapings arrive. They will look just fine and I doubt anyone will say otherwise. ;) They just will plain look better then plastic or other alternative starter items.

Thanks guys.

Yes, it will be an interim pot and I know it won't be show quality. I really think some won't look like baking dish after a tree is on them though. I'll do a couple and show them to you once put in service. :eek:

Regarding proper bonsai pot...I have more than 20 Tokoname bonsai pots now but some are smaller than I (currently) need. I also have 6 commissioned bigger pieces coming in couple months costing me some pretty penny.

Honest my Wife and I found some that really were inexpensive and very nicely shaped - they are drilled and ready for her to use this Spring when more sapings arrive. They will look just fine and I doubt anyone will say otherwise. ;) They just will plain look better then plastic or other alternative starter items.

Looking forward seeing your pot. :)

Also remember you can Dilute a paint and add marks, and washed effects. After that might even consider a light uneven mist of a copper spray paint - Honest is is what pleases you. 4 years ago I bought 2 white plastic 12 inch cubes at target for 10 dollars each and they where made in such a fashion they had drain holes. My Wife sock painted them a deep orange and I misted them with copper. We then planted red sedge in them for a nice accent to our entrance. Four years later everyone that has ever seen them asks why we spent so much on copper pots for red sedge :p

i honestly plan on doing the same thing for the interim. i have a cache of pottery, kitchen ceramics etc not intended for bonsai but will be drilled this spring. please let me know how the drilling goes and any tips you learn from the experience. thanks

Get clear ones so you can see the roots or that may fry them. I find plastic bulb pans work great for most things. Bus tubs could be cheap for larger things.

I've done this several times with what I considered to be appropriate glass vases and other pots with no holes. They can look quite good, even if sometimes non-traditional. You can get diamond-edged hole saws to cut round holes in glass or ceramic, pretty much any size you want. I typically drill a 1.5 inch dia hole for drainage, and 4 small holes for wiring.

I recommend drilling from the inside, and putting some water in it first. Drill the larger hole first. Support the bottom of the pot with sand, soil, or even towels to minimize chipping as the bit breaks through. Drill with minimal pressure.

My biggest problem is that I can't seem to get the large hole exactly centered.

Have fun!
Brian

i honestly plan on doing the same thing for the interim. i have a cache of pottery, kitchen ceramics etc not intended for bonsai but will be drilled this spring. please let me know how the drilling goes and any tips you learn from the experience. thanks

Gimme a call easier then typing :)

I've done this several times with what I considered to be appropriate glass vases and other pots with no holes. They can look quite good, even if sometimes non-traditional. You can get diamond-edged hole saws to cut round holes in glass or ceramic, pretty much any size you want. I typically drill a 1.5 inch dia hole for drainage, and 4 small holes for wiring.

I recommend drilling from the inside, and putting some water in it first. Drill the larger hole first. Support the bottom of the pot with sand, soil, or even towels to minimize chipping as the bit breaks through. Drill with minimal pressure.

My biggest problem is that I can't seem to get the large hole exactly centered.

Have fun!
Brian

Brian,

I will be using 3/4" & 1" diamond coring bit (similar to a hole saw). I will use a drill press so centering it shouldn't be a problem. One of my bit actually have a pilot bit to help it stay centered. For the support at exit, I plan on using the sole of old sneakers (rubber).

I would just use tape on the inside if you feel you need support, that rubber flapping about could cause more harm then good. If the piece you are drilling can hold boiling water it is very improbable that it will crack even without back support "if" you go slow and drill lets say an 1/8th of an inch at a time - I have done this a lot of times including a "cheap" oriental style vase thate i filled with stone and sand on top for an ashtray :p

It is the brittleness of the material that concerns me. As you exit or punch through, some areas will wear out sooner and the pressure might cause the remaining to break. Having a rubber backing will hopefully even the pressure.

Another technique we use is do half from one side then flip and meet it from the other....if you have a pilot hole this is easy.

Here is what I got.
View attachment 29960

Last edited:
WOW! So many steps and considerations :p Honest I get the same results with a press or a hand drill and many times don't even use the tape. The only thing I do "special is to make sure the pot or whatever is face down on a surface like a rubber door mat to stop vibration. Also I just use Carbide tipped concrete bits... :rolleyes:

My old hobby was making wooden pens and I drill a lot. Precision is very important esp when drilling a 1/2" square blank x 3" long with an 8mm bit. You hardly have any allowance for error and a blown blank can ruin your day. I know too well what happens when a bit "grabs" what you are drilling especially at exit.

I might ease up a bit after I had some experience...but being careful never hurts. ;)

Carbide bits should work...I just prefer diamond esp since they are not that much more anyway. The bigger hole also doesn't hurt, less holes to drill. ;)

I would wonder how these "pots" would handle the cold. Are they earthenware? If so, they may have issues lasting in cold winter areas.

Regards,
Martin

I would wonder how these "pots" would handle the cold. Are they earthenware? If so, they may have issues lasting in cold winter areas.

Regards,
Martin

I wouldn't think they will have any problems with the cold. We use them a lot on food...from oven to the freezer (not right away) w/o any problems. But I may be mistaken.

By the way, they are made of ceramic or stoneware.

Last edited:
Yes people freeze cookware all the time.

They will hold up quite well where you are and "up" here none of that has had a problem with "cold". If you can toss boiling water into it is is a strong bake. If not it is to porous and will take in to much moisture, freeze, then split.

BTW I am from the Scientific Industry and I am used to precision as I was an active person in Quality control. :p This "passion" is a bit pricey and I do not see that as being a prt of my experience. I do what I do with what I have most times and get Peace from it as it should be :)

Back
Top Bottom