Arakawa Japanese Maple

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think that this one has to go too far out to the side, (3rd trunk) and when it's larger will give an unbalanced feeling. But maybe it you thought about an angle change... You know how much I love multiple trunks!!! Looking good coming along.

Judy what I'm thinking here is that it would end up being a short outgrowth and not a major element in the design. I am leaving it long for now to thicken it up a bit but eventually will be cut way back. We'll see. I may end up cutting it off altogether but for now playing with the idea.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Twin trunk semi cascade...

Grimmy

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice root balls can't wait to see where you go with these.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for being so loyal to this thread and posting yearly updates. Otherwise I would never find it, and it sure is a thread that I learned much from. Thanks again
And congratulations on your excellent tree.
(I would remove the 3rd trunk, but judging on my experience and skill you might just have to do the opposite :))

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Sweet! Digging it. I'm trying to picture it as a triplet if you end up keeping the root graft. No doubt you'd make it nice, but I'm predictable and would have probably added the third on the left if I was going for a triple. Happy growing this year!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sweet! Digging it. I'm trying to picture it as a triplet if you end up keeping the root graft. No doubt you'd make it nice, but I'm predictable and would have probably added the third on the left if I was going for a triple. Happy growing this year!

There is nothing predictable about your comment Brian. I think that having the 3rd trunk to the left would have been my first choice too. But since I have this root graft already in place it got me thinking. Ultimately, if I end up keeping this "trunk", I want to treated more as an outgrowth and less as an actual trunk. So I am thinking small bits of twiggy growth happening at the base of a large tree. We shall see. At the very least I do have a nice root going in that area.

I can't wait to get this tree sorted out in the next couple years. Apex on the larger trunk needs to be worked out but waiting to get my approach graft completed. Hopefully I won't snap it again this year! A few straight-ish branches that need to be wired and given some bends, etc, etc, etc.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
but damn!! love the tree... a nebari to kill for, the bark, the colors!!

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
S, good work! Another "thought" tilting 10-15 degrees right and shortening #2

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Today I did a bit of work on this maple. Trimmed back a bit and I think it's progressing very nicely. One remarkable thing to report this year is that it has been in full sun since April. I am amazed that I have no leaf scorch on it. I'm aware that arakawa is more resistant to it but to what degree I didn't know.

In mid June I checked on the progress of my approach graft. Unfortunately the tree had rejected it. Having just enough time, I went ahead and redid the graft. Checked it again today and it finally took! I will cut off the parent branch next year once I see the graft growing well.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I want an arakawa so bad, especially after seeing how scorch resistant they are! I knew I should have bought that one on the FB auctiona from the bonsai learning center.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I want an arakawa so bad, especially after seeing how scorch resistant they are! I knew I should have bought that one on the FB auctiona from the bonsai learning center.

Joe I think I purchased that same tree you're talking about from the LC. Next spring I putting it in the ground. Very nice little tree with a nice trunk but they tried to make it too quickly into a bonsai.

Looking good Serg! Your garden gets better all the time too!
@JoeR : I have an Arakawa available, but I probably want too much for it.

Thanks Brian! I am working on it :rolleyes:

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Joe I think I purchased that same tree you're talking about from the LC. Next spring I putting it in the ground. Very nice little tree with a nice trunk but they tried to make it too quickly into a bonsai.

Thanks Brian! I am working on it :rolleyes:
Ahh I see, thats funny. I need to make a trip to the Bonsai learning center. Maybe they have more.

Top Bottom