Cjr Delonix Regia

How many years growth , I have a couple into the second year nows (the only just starting to sprout new leaves ) hoping for some extra growth this year.

Still no flower this year. Growth has been slow but the trunk is developing some character.
View attachment 500861
The longer you keep it in the pot and the more you expand the ramification the more character it will build... also, I think that once the upper branches are older than a year or two they will start to flower. In the last 4 years you have done severe cut-backs, so all the branching is basically new all the time. Normally, as DR start to flower after year 5, but according to an article from the UFL it could take as long as 12 years.

A newly planted royal poinciana will likely take five years to bloom, although there are reports of some trees taking twelve years or more.

The longer you keep it in the pot and the more you expand the ramification the more character it will build... also, I think that once the upper branches are older than a year or two they will start to flower. In the last 4 years you have done severe cut-backs, so all the branching is basically new all the time. Normally, as DR start to flower after year 5, but according to an article from the UFL it could take as long as 12 years.

Where I grew up Delonix regia can have flowers after 3 years in the ground. However, there they grow all year round and don't suffer die back in the winter. It's a completely different game in colder climate. I can keep it alive in zone 9 but my local friend here has one that took 7 years to flower. At this point, it's a waiting game for me.

In Cancun this week... a few are blooming in front of the hotel. From what I can tell. They bloom on very young wood.
20230802_154906.jpg20230802_155924.jpg

In Cancun this week... a few are blooming in front of the hotel. From what I can tell. They bloom on very young wood.
View attachment 500970
Those look different from the ones I am used to see in the islands. More orange like the Pride of Barbados flower below.
1691062447733.png

Most Delonix Regia (Flamboyant tree) flowers I have seen are redder as below with the variegated petal which is clearly visible on your first two pictures. It would be nice to be able to have both... LOL
1691062562503.png

1691062616088.png

Those look different from the ones I am used to see in the islands. More orange like the Pride of Barbados flower below.
View attachment 501028

Most Delonix Regia (Flamboyant tree) flowers I have seen are redder as below with the variegated petal which is clearly visible on your first two pictures. It would be nice to be able to have both... LOL
View attachment 501029

View attachment 501030
I am sure @namnhi can tell the difference between Flamboyant trees and Pride of Barbados. After all the Flamboyant trees are native to his old country.
The trees in his posted pictures are a bit too big to be Pride of Barbados.

I am sure @namnhi can tell the difference between Flamboyant trees and Pride of Barbados. After all the Flamboyant trees are native to his old country.
The trees in his posted pictures are a bit too big to be Pride of Barbados.
I can definitely tell they are flamboyant trees, I had no idea @namnhi was from Madagascar. That's where DR is native from, I'm from Puerto Rico and they are all over the island, especially in the south side of the island.

There are a few yellow ones, very rare to find them when I was growing up. Since then they have propagated them all over the island.
1691064850000.png

This one is near the University of Puerto Rico in Cayey, I did a semester there for college.
1691065073792.png

I seen both on the walk but I like the majestic look of Delonix Regia. The Pride of Barbados is tiny compare to DR. I never liked PoB.

I can definitely tell they are flamboyant trees, I had no idea @namnhi was from Madagascar. That's where DR is native from, I'm from Puerto Rico and they are all over the island, especially in the south side of the island.

There are a few yellow ones, very rare to find them when I was growing up. Since then they have propagated them all over the island.
View attachment 501032

This one is near the University of Puerto Rico in Cayey, I did a semester there for college.
View attachment 501033
You are right in that Delonix regia is native to Madagascar, certainly not where @namnhi came from. However, it's been in my country from what seems like forever hence the thought. The French brought them to my old country in the early 1900. Some of the cities there have so many planted everywhere, most particularly in prominent parks.

View attachment 501032

View attachment 501033
I have never seen a yellow one. As for the red... they they do have different shades.

I seen both on the walk but I like the majestic look of Delonix Regia. The Pride of Barbados is tiny compare to DR. I never liked PoB.
Me neither, they are too small to work with for such huge leaves.
The French brought them to my old country in the early 1900.
Welp, I guess we got you beat... LOL, them suckers brought them to the island in the early 1500... damn corsairs.

Me neither, they are too small to work with for such huge leaves.

Welp, I guess we got you beat... LOL, them suckers brought them to the island in the early 1500... damn corsairs.
Environment terrorists bringing invasive species to areas they don't belong :D

it seems like it may be challenging to push the foliage back in towards the trunk. do you have a plan that you think could help achieve that?

it seems like it may be challenging to push the foliage back in towards the trunk. do you have a plan that you think could help achieve that?
If you look at previous pictures, you will see that every spring the tree will bud all over. So I can cut the branches way back when I want. This will be a big bonsai because the compound leaves are 16” long.

Back
Top Bottom