Zip ties on bonsais

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There was an article in Kinbon... between 2008 and 2011 (I can check the exact issue if needed) on using zip ties along with wire to create radical movement on young pine whips.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
To be honest, if you can think of a way to use knicker elastic or chewing gum or whatever else then go for it. As long as it’s not detrimental to the health of the tree then nothing is out of bounds.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are a couple trees with ties. It is not my go to as a rule but it works. One on elm needs tightening up a bit. I didn't want to do too much at once but it needs a bit more. I may take it off and wire it when leaves drop. WE'll see.
IMG_3840.JPGIMG_3841.JPG

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I used them them trying to to ground layer a Stuartia monadelpha that just had 3 downward growing roots. Will see if it works. Figured they should make good tourniquets.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Make sure you use UV resistant if your use keeps the in the sun for long. They get brittle quick!
The cheap ones will outlast a season. Therefore the cheap ones are better for me. I use the UV resistant ones for out door projects and they last at least a few years. Not what I want for my trees.
Now of course your Florida sun is an altogether different thing than my Northern Virginia sun, so for you the UV resistance may be of benefit.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
The cheap ones will outlast a season. Therefore the cheap ones are better for me. I use the UV resistant ones for out door projects and they last at least a few years. Not what I want for my trees.
Now of course your Florida sun is an altogether different thing than my Northern Virginia sun, so for you the UV resistance may be of benefit.
That’s a good point! Although there doesn’t seem to be a markup for UV resistance.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have done this as well. I always use tubing when using guy wires.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
I’ve used zip ties to secure my trees in their pots back when I was starting out and didn’t have spare wire. They held the roots and tree remarkably well with the zip ties being flat. i might have to try it again and see how well it works compared to the wire now that I have a few more repots under my belt.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They work GREAT for putting large bends in flexible material. It's not for every tree, but I've used them for pines and spruce to pull down/bend branches gradually. Easy to tighten up and hold in place, then guy wire when you have the branch trunk styled where you want.

Top Bottom