Youpon Holly newly formed leaves black spots

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trimmed early spring. New growth coming but getting these black spots in emerging very young leaves. Only on some branches and not on mature leaves. Have received Daconil and 3 in1 for insects on a rotating monthly basis since March. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20230610_165943.jpg
    20230610_165943.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230610_165929.jpg
    20230610_165929.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230610_165916.jpg
    20230610_165916.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 20

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I can't help ya with the black dots but I'll give ya a bump cuz I like youpon hollys too.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No expert, but if you're treating for pests already that's likely not it.

Some other thoughts:
Could you be over-treating, and this is a response to the chemicals? Or possibly a fungus or the like that's covered under your current regimen.
What's your fertilizer regimen? Could be a nutrient deficiency.
Weather and other environmental factors could be to blame.

Just trying to help you get answers, because I really don't have any.

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No expert, but if you're treating for pests already that's likely not it.

Some other thoughts:
Could you be over-treating, and this is a response to the chemicals? Or possibly a fungus or the like that's covered under your current regimen.
What's your fertilizer regimen? Could be a nutrient deficiency.
Weather and other environmental factors could be to blame.

Just trying to help you get answers, because I really don't have any.
I don't know about over treating. Don't think so but will look into it. Fert monthly switching between 1/2 dose Osmocote and then next month organic fert. Weather is the big question. In El Paso we have been normal. 95. , full sun, low humidity and wind. Have had some problems with my deciduous with sunburn. Thinking of going to shade cloth for some protection. Having trouble figuring out a setup. Watering has been consistent but only based on chopstick method

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
this can't be all the new growth since early spring? Also there is blackening where the cuts are. Is it under a tree with fungus during or right after cutting maybe?

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are right. I picked it up in Feb. Strcturally trimmed end Mar. This is growth since then. Hasnt been under any trees, although some others with sunburn are spending time under pines. They were also trimmed in Mar.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is that the regular time release fert Osmocote? It's meant for long term use. It releases nutrients slowly over time, and heat and humidity will increase the rate. If you've been adding regular Osmocote every other month, you've built up so much on there that you may actually be over fertilizing now. Too much fert can be toxic.
Get rid of as much of it as you possibly can, and flush the pot thoroughly with water to wash out the excess salts.

Top Bottom