Young trees and fluctuating temps entering spring

Alberello

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
IMG_0035.JPG IMG_0038.JPG IMG_0039.JPG IMG_0042.JPG So I have a couple long term projects in their first stages. A Ben Hoshi JRM "1 year" graft and this Little Leaf Linden (tilia cordata) 3 years from seedling. I've been doing the inside and out dance with them and this screwy weather the past couple weeks. They've been outside as of late in the 50's and low 60's. But Mother Nature decided to slip in a snow storm and some temps back down into the teens this week. I'm not really concerned about my older hardy trees but do these youngins pose a greater danger of freezing out. Still in little pots as I have been waiting for the weather to really break to get em in large pots. They haven't popped open their buds yet so will they be ok as long as their roots don't freeze? Whatdaya think? Bring em in under the grow light for a whole week away from these temps or leave em out? Not to silly a question I hope. But I don't wanna confuse em on breaking dormancy as I would rather have them have their first push of growth naturally outside and not take away from any vigor when the growing season starts, especially planning on reporting them.

Alberello

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
...Repotting them(Not reporting them..they haven't broken the law...damn you spell check!)

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
View attachment 135709 View attachment 135710 View attachment 135711 View attachment 135712 So I have a couple long term projects in their first stages. A Ben Hoshi JRM "1 year" graft and this Little Leaf Linden (tilia cordata) 3 years from seedling. I've been doing the inside and out dance with them and this screwy weather the past couple weeks. They've been outside as of late in the 50's and low 60's. But Mother Nature decided to slip in a snow storm and some temps back down into the teens this week. I'm not really concerned about my older hardy trees but do these youngins pose a greater danger of freezing out. Still in little pots as I have been waiting for the weather to really break to get em in large pots. They haven't popped open their buds yet so will they be ok as long as their roots don't freeze? Whatdaya think? Bring em in under the grow light for a whole week away from these temps or leave em out? Not to silly a question I hope. But I don't wanna confuse em on breaking dormancy as I would rather have them have their first push of growth naturally outside and not take away from any vigor when the growing season starts, especially planning on reporting them.

Both of these should be fine in the cold as long as the roots are properly protected. Bringing them into a warm environment is not only not necessary, but can potentially cause more harm than good. Linden is one of the toughest things I've seen - doubtful that a little winter weather would harm it. One year, a mouse or something ate every bud off one of mine, and it bloomed out perfectly fine in the spring. I also transplanted one mid-summer one year and it had hardly any roots to speak of. Still alive. I had another wild one where the main trunk got snapped most of the way through and I just ignore it - completely fused shut by the end of the growing season. They have a very strong will to live.

FYI - you must grow it out in a larger pot or the ground or you'll never, ever get a trunk. Also, you won't get small leaves for a very, very long time. Be OK with that and focus on growing a trunk & branch structure. Once you have that, and start pruning for ramification, the leaf size will eventually go down.

But for next winter, find a place where you can store it without interruption. The only time where the winter weather will be an issue is if it's already pushing leaves. THEN, you might have an issue with new growth dying. But even then, it will probably just replace it once the weather gets nice again. These things are very forgiving. But under those circumstances, I'd try and keep it above freezing so I didn't lose any progress.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fugetaboudit!

Sorce

Alberello

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks very much music-maker. Much appreciated. Good to have someone weigh in that has good first hand experience with Lindens. I know they're tough hardy trees but haven't seen many threads or chatter about them here or even online in the way of bonsai to pull info from. Sounds like yours has put up with a lot and thrived. You still have yours? Wouldn't mind seeing some pics. I'm in a condo so unfortunately I'm hindered by not being able to put my stuff in the ground. But I'll repot it in something large asap to get the trunk thickening. Thanks.

Top Bottom