Yew deadwood question.

I'd say that eventually, you'd want to enhance the deadwood there with carving, though I wouldn't be too quick to grab the grinder. You should study some of the work/videos of European artists like Graham Potter, Kevin Wilson, and Will Baddeley to give you some inspiration and direction.

I would not create the hollow center right now. However, I would slightly carve back the top a little like attached here. Then, I would let it all age and study it for several seasons.
Wiring….hmmmmm….i have wired just like that at times. It works well.
IMG_8605.jpeg

My vote is no to completely hollow but yes to carving some character and interest into the dead wood

Less big hole and more depth and crevices

You could hit it with a little lime sulfur and see if you like that look then decide whether to take it further with carving.

No. The deadwood has a nice grain. Continue to let it weather naturally.

Last edited:
The deadwood will need some help.
Right now, it is just a broken end, and the tree has no real taper to speak off. You can work the deadwood to enhance the taper & aged look. Consider getting someone who is experienced in deadwood work to assist there.

The surface of the lower dead part seems to have been worked with a grinder to get small grooves. I would recommend working with handtools, taking it slower and allowing the natural grain to come out instead of carving

Back
Top Bottom