Yellowing Satsuki Azalea

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I learned about it from Rick Garcia at the North American Satsuki Association. He may have a list.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Leaf shape may be an indicator of hardiness, but it would not be a 100 % reliable indicator. You really need to find a reference book that lists the parentage and what is know about hardiness of each specific cultivar. Otherwise it is hit and miss.

Newer Satsuki hybrid cultivars, that have been registered with the RHS, the parentage is known and reliable predictions of hardiness can be made. But the older Satsuki hybrids have parentage that has been lost to time, and you have to rely on the information of the source nursery. Otherwise assume they are all "southern types" unless you have specific information to the contrary.

I do know from experience that 'Hakurei' is winter hardy in a pot set on the ground to some where around +10 F. ( -6 C). It is a nice small flowered white Satsuki, and +10 F is as cold as I have let it get. It might be more cold tolerant but I never tested that any further. Also 'Waka ebusiu' and 'Shiro ebusiu' seem to be pretty hardy, though I usually remember to bring them in so they have not experienced much below +25 F in my garden. The 'Hakurei' got forgotten one year, got discovered after a couple nights of +10 F.

Reactions: Meh

Francesco84

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I bet it blossoms white, doesn’t it? If the flowers were pink or red, the leaves would turn red. And leaves that turn variegated indicate variegated flowers.
You are right! white flowers on this bad boy. Cant wait for next spring!

Top Bottom