Yellowing Ficus Leaves (overwatering?)

tonkatsu

Seedling
Reaction score
I have had this Ficus outside, in the same spot for about 5 months.
Potted with well draining soil.

Just recently I am noticing yellowing on the leaves. It is happening more since the picture was taken.
Is this a sign of over watering? Under watering?

I haven't fertilized much during the winter.

I am watering when the soil is dry, but increased lately as the weather in SO Cal has been getting warmer.

Any suggestions on what is causing this?
Input would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Ficus.jpg
    Ficus.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 54

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can you post a close up picture of the yellow leaves? Is it the new growth on the tips or the older leaves further back? They typically shed older leaves as they start to grow more actively after “winter”.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I’m in your area and have been dealing with the warmer weather too. Water when the top inch is dry and when the pot becomes lighter. In the OC, I have some chunky ficus cuttings in 4 inch containers and they are watered about every 2-3 days. They are in cactus mix with added pumice.

Last edited:

tonkatsu

Seedling
Reaction score
I appreciate the responses.

Here is a close up of what the yellowing looks like. It is mostly happening on older, established leaves and not new growth.
As mentioned, there are a few more since this picture was taken but the picture shows the basic issue.

This was my first winter with this tree, so I am not too familiar with how much leaf shed happens after winter.

I'm just trying to understand if it is a watering issue (over or under) or just a natural course with the seasons.

Attachments

• Ficus closeup.jpg
    Ficus closeup.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 43

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Yes, they will shed older leaves.
How much are you watering? Are you feeding at all after the repot and it’s recovery?

tonkatsu

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm watering whenever I feel that the soil is getting dry. Roughly every other day.
I didn't recently repot.

Fed it for the firs time since winter started, two weeks ago.
Planning to feed again tomorrow.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Tiger Barks are honestly just super sensitive. A change in wind, heat and they like to shed and push new leaves. Mine sheds randomly for no reason when I haven’t done anything different to it.
If I move it, it will throw a tantrum as well.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This appears to be nothing more than ficus dropping old interior leaves. If the yellowing is only on the interior, and only impacts a few leaves (perhaps a max of 20%) that is what is occurring.

My ficus are dropping old leaves atm... and I just put them outside about a month ago after spending the winter indoors.

Top Bottom