Yamadori/cutting/pruning advice

Brent99

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello everybody,

You guys helped me a few months ago with giving me information about bonsai and useful videos, thanks again.
I started reading books and watched videos about the topic and I learnt a lot from this.

It's now the beginning of spring, the best moment to start with bonsais I guess.
I have a few small seedling for the future but I also searched outside for a bigger tree (Also called a Yamadori if I'm correct) and potted it.
Most of you will find this tree maybe boring looking because of the straight tree trunk but it hopefully has potential to become a good looking bonsai (see the attached pictures).

Could you help me with the following please:
  • What are the most important things to remeber to make the chance higher that it will survive (I've heard that it's always risky to dig and pot a plant)
  • Should I start cutting of branches already or is it better to wait a year/ a few years? If I have to cut of branches, what would be the best branches to cut of? (Adding a picture is always welcome :) )
  • Giving any other tips/information is also welcome!
PS: I've no idea which kind of tree (maybe even bush) this is. I've to wait until I see leaves to be sure. It will be a suprise haha.

Thanks already!

Kind regards,
Brent

Attachments

• IMG_20240408_192925064.jpg
    IMG_20240408_192925064.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20240408_192937120.jpg
    IMG_20240408_192937120.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20240408_192856048.jpg
    IMG_20240408_192856048.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240408_192907201.jpg
    IMG_20240408_192907201.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 36

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Put it in the shade and don't mess with it for at least a full twelve months. If the species is not shade tolerant, a little early morning sun is okay, but still don't mess with it. Just let it grow.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Hard to give specific advice when we don't even know what species we are talking about. Maybe you have priorities wrong. Find out first, dig second. In the scheme of things a year or 2 hardly matters in bonsai.
Digging and transplant is not risky provided you understand some basics.
In general, let the tree decide if it needs less branches. If the roots can't manage it will let a few branches die off to survive. Just keep the soil a little damp rather than soggy our really dry. Good light but not blazing hot sun ( is that even a thing in Belgium?) in the afternoons. Generally spring weather is ideal for transplant so no need to worry too much about position. Just check on soil moisture regularly.
In most cases let the transplant alone for a full year because all leaves will be feeding new developing roots and providing strength for future pruning and growth. Some really hardy species can be trimmed if they are growing strong by mid summer.

Brent99

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Put it in the shade and don't mess with it for at least a full twelve months. If the species is not shade tolerant, a little early morning sun is okay, but still don't mess with it. Just let it grow.
Thanks for the advice! I'll let it grow and I will not do any cutting etc. for a full year.

Brent99

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hard to give specific advice when we don't even know what species we are talking about. Maybe you have priorities wrong. Find out first, dig second. In the scheme of things a year or 2 hardly matters in bonsai.
Digging and transplant is not risky provided you understand some basics.
In general, let the tree decide if it needs less branches. If the roots can't manage it will let a few branches die off to survive. Just keep the soil a little damp rather than soggy our really dry. Good light but not blazing hot sun ( is that even a thing in Belgium?) in the afternoons. Generally spring weather is ideal for transplant so no need to worry too much about position. Just check on soil moisture regularly.
In most cases let the transplant alone for a full year because all leaves will be feeding new developing roots and providing strength for future pruning and growth. Some really hardy species can be trimmed if they are
growing strong by mid summer.
Thanks for your advice! You're 100% right that it isn't ideal that I got the bonsai before knowing which species it is. It was indeed a wrong priority because of my enthusiasm. But I'll know it in a few weeks. And haha, it's freezing over here if you compare the weather of Belgium with that of Australia. But I'll check the soil moisture regulary and I'll not trim/cut the tree for atleast a year, thanks for the tips.

Top Bottom