Wulfskaar's Bald Cypress

Nice subtle movement…decent taper…nice tree! Now get that sucker in water and sit back and watch it grow 😁
@19Mateo83, When you say get it in water, what exactly do you mean? how much water and how long do you leave it in water, why do you do that, and does it matter which part of the country we live in?

explosive growth!!

If this were my tree, I'd be chopping it at just above half height.

@19Mateo83, When you say get it in water, what exactly do you mean? how much water and how long do you leave it in water, why do you do that, and does it matter which part of the country we live in?
I've had this in water for about a month now. I put the whole pot in a plastic tote (as you can see) and filled up with water to a couple inches from the rim of the pot. The majority of growth has happened in this time.

EDIT: I think it's been in water for about 5 weeks. I don't plan to keep it in water all the time, only when it's really hot and dry here.

Last edited:
explosive growth!!

If this were my tree, I'd be chopping it at just above half height.
I like the tall, slender look for this one. Once I build the flattop canopy on it, I think it will look really cool.

I'm aiming for something like this:
ron-lang-vaughn-banting-bald-cypress-at-pbmbackground.jpg

It looks to me like that taper and movement was likely created by a chop, albeit it much higher up than I was Suggesting. Have you see the sketches Zach Smith sends to his customers about how to progress a chop while adding movement and taper? They're very good!

It looks to me like that taper and movement was likely created by a chop, albeit it much higher up than I was Suggesting. Have you see the sketches Zach Smith sends to his customers about how to progress a chop while adding movement and taper? They're very good!

It's chopped, but just hard to see in the pics. I'll see if I can get a better pic of the chop.

I like the height it's at now as well as the trunk thickness, but if I ever change my mind I can always chop lower. On this particular tree, I like the elegance of the longer, thinner trunk. I'm not going for a chonker here.

in that case you are likely in the "year two" part of those drawings I shared. Obviously you've selected a leader, and now it's off to the races!

I like the tall, slender look for this one. Once I build the flattop canopy on it, I think it will look really cool.

I have detailed pictures of that tree thanks to @Kievnstavick if you would like more inspiration 😉

I like to keep my BC in a dish full of water for the hot months. Think of how these trees grow in the swamps. I have some in trays that hold water just below the soil level and I have some that I keep in a few inches so that the tree has plenty of moisture to support vigorous growth.

I like to keep my BC in a dish full of water for the hot months. Think of how these trees grow in the swamps. I have some in trays that hold water just below the soil level and I have some that I keep in a few inches so that the tree has plenty of moisture to support vigorous growth.
Got it, thank you. I really would love to add a couple BC’s to my collection. You got any leads on where I can acquire some?

You got any leads on where I can acquire some?

If you are aiming for something like the one in this picture, you will see that the chop in that tree is at around 60% the final height of the tree. Based on that, if you leave your tree as it, the final height of your tree is going to be really tall.

Back
Top Bottom