WTB Coast Live Oak or Coyote Bush

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm looking for some smaller coast live oak (quercus agrifolia) or coyote bush (Baccharis pilularis) for a small coastal forest I'm interested in creating. Very small is fine, I'm looking for up to 5 trees for the project. If coyote bush, I do not want a dwarf variety, which seems to be what most places sell. I'm having trouble finding any online sources for either of these.

Thanks!

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
No clue personally, but I did look up coyote brush because I was unfamiliar, and found this site.

Under the map there's a link to a list of nurseries that might have it.
Thanks, I'll work through the list to see if I can find any! So far most of the nurseries I've found only offer local pickup in California (I'm in Atlanta). The few exceptions only sell dwarf cultivars that won't work for me. Worst case I can maybe order seeds somewhere or buy some when I visit CA next fall.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
From what I read in that link, I get the impression that "dwarf" in this case just means it's a variety that won't ever grow to that 10 foot tall, probably stays low if left alone, in that 1 to 2 foot range.
Should still be suitable for bonsai scales.

I know there are some species that are labeled as dwarf but that's just a colloquial differentiation from a similar appearing species.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've bought coastal live oak from the Jonsteen Co. in No. Cal. They'll ship anywhere in the US. Also can get them at Forestfarm.com.

Top Bottom