Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its old a gnarly but hardly a bonsai yet. IMHO

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its old a gnarly but hardly a bonsai yet. IMHO
Well, yeah dude it is more bonsai than landscape plant. Don't know if you've ever worked VERY large wisteria, aside from having it survive collection, to get that amount of short backbudding and branching that close in requires some effort. No, it's not museum bonsai, but it is a bonsai.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And BTW, it could be for sale if you're local. PM me if anyone's interested.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, yeah dude it is more bonsai than landscape plant. Don't know if you've ever worked VERY large wisteria, aside from having it survive collection, to get that amount of short backbudding and branching that close in requires some effort. No, it's not museum bonsai, but it is a bonsai.
I here you and know from whence you come, and the realization that this is more a bonsai to some than to me. I seem to find myself in a position now where perhaps I should not have put my nose. Yet still it is only my opinion. I am sure that there are others, yourself included, that could turn this leviathan into a thing of beauty.
As a side note, I have not worked on large wisteria as a bonsai, but I have pruned several with trunks exceeding 10 inches. The ones at Biltmore must have trunks at least 18 inches in diameter. I believe they were part of Olmsted's original plantings upon completion of the estate in 1905.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Beautiful bark and it is what it is, a wisteria and they just look different than your run if the mill bonsai. My question is how well do they callous over when old branches are cut off the main trunk? On one I collected last spring I removed a coulpe low branches leaving bare wood circles where those were removed. Will the bark cover those eventually or will they just become openings for rot to start?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful bark and it is what it is, a wisteria and they just look different than your run if the mill bonsai. My question is how well do they callous over when old branches are cut off the main trunk? On one I collected last spring I removed a coulpe low branches leaving bare wood circles where those were removed. Will the bark cover those eventually or will they just become openings for rot to start?
That's the issue with wisteria. They are NOT trees. They are vines. They don't make strong, resilient wood. Hard pruning produces wounds that heal slowly or not at all. You have to get creative with how you grow them to grow away from wounds. The one above, like many large bonsai has rot issues at the soil line. the trick is to get it to grow enough every summer to put on wood faster than wood rots. It's a balance. Big wisteria bonsai without wounds and rot are very rare. This one at the Arb is from the Japanese Imperial collection. It is walking a tightrope with rot too.
natarbwisteria.jpg

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I figured that would be the case, so you really have to be ready to incorporate the wound and any rotting wood into the design. Maybe I’ll plan some carving to turn it from a bull’s eye ring to an elongated oval running down to the soil line. Last summer was about getting it to survive and thrive after being dug up and this year I am waiting for the buds to pop. One step at a time!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I figured that would be the case, so you really have to be ready to incorporate the wound and any rotting wood into the design. Maybe I’ll plan some carving to turn it from a bull’s eye ring to an elongated oval running down to the soil line. Last summer was about getting it to survive and thrive after being dug up and this year I am waiting for the buds to pop. One step at a time!
I would NOT purposefully remove wood or carve anything. You're only accelerating the rotting process. Keep as much sound wood as is available. In the coming years, you will have time enough to carve out all the punky rotted wood as the plant adjusts to life in a container. Expect to lose at least half of the trunk in the next couple of years to die back--doesn't mean that will happen, just that it CAN happen (and mostly does).

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
That would have been a bonsai I lusted over a little earlier in my bonsai journey.... by like 20 years:D. The big ones always catch my eye and quicken my heart beat... but there's no room for new hernia makers in my yard anymore as my aging body can't handle them easily anymore:(.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are some other pictures. Was a very large tree (probably 10' tall and 15' wide) growing over a trellis at my parents' house in NYC. Collected in 2010, pretty stable now and flowering reliably. I think I have a thread going on it somewhere here.

Attachments

• IMG_9565.JPG
    IMG_9565.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9566.JPG
    IMG_9566.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9568.JPG
    IMG_9568.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9569.JPG
    IMG_9569.JPG
    377.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9572.JPG
    IMG_9572.JPG
    357.1 KB · Views: 38

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Is this Chinese, Japanese or American Wisteria? I got two neglected ones from HD three years now and they haven't flower for me :(

What would the price be for something like this? These things are tough as nail but the dead wood is kinda scary.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it might be Japanese. I think the Japanese types flower at the same time that they are in leaf, while the Chinese flower pre-leaf.

I'm willing to entertain fair offers. Not looking to get rich on this or anything. Obviously can't ship this thing, it's a tad too big.

Top Bottom