Winter Shohin School Jan. 29-29 2023, Portland Oregon

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
This is an exciting one! The Winter Shohin School that is happening Jan. 28-29 here in Portland, Oregon. I hear half the spots are already taken, so sign up asap! (More detailed website coming soon)

Headliner Daisaku Nomoto, along with Andrew Robson and Jonas Dupuich, will lead a shohin-focused weekend covering the basics of shohin bonsai.

Activities include (full schedule TBD):
  • Shohin display
  • Shohin containers
  • Shohin critiques
  • Bring-your-own-tree workshop
What you bring:
  • Shohin bonsai for display exercise
  • Shohin bonsai for workshop
  • Bonsai Tools
Hours
  • 9-5 Saturday and Sunday
Meals are not included. We encourage you to bring food, use delivery services, or visit a nearby restaurant.

*Vendors will be on hand with shohin-related items including trees and containers.

Attendance limited to 100 participants.

* @NaoTK and I will be vending pots at this show, so if you missed PBE or want more Tokutake pots this will be the event to be at! And here I thought we could take a breather after PBE.. 😂

Attachments

• 8B5F1AE8-B794-4004-ABFF-84A4CE0DC287.jpeg
    8B5F1AE8-B794-4004-ABFF-84A4CE0DC287.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 8
After Thanksgiving I'll be getting into the swing of making pots for the show. In the meantime, taking requests for any pot styles, shapes, or motifs. I already had someone asking for more Godzillas. Any other kaiju requests?

After Thanksgiving I'll be getting into the swing of making pots for the show. In the meantime, taking requests for any pot styles, shapes, or motifs. I already had someone asking for more Godzillas. Any other kaiju requests?
Could you do a Godzilla and Ghidora on the same pot? Seriously.

Some more info from Andrew Robson:

“Jonas Dupuich and I are launching a new project called Shohin School to try and build up a shohin community on the west coast. Shohin School is a private seminar taking place in Portland on January 28th and 29th hosted by Jonas Dupuich and Andrew Robson. The two of us will be joined by Daisaku Nomoto, a shohin master from Japan. Daisaku is a top shohin expert, a judge at Gafu-ten (Japan's premier shohin exhibition), former president of Japan's shohin club, and has won top prizes for shohin at Sakafu-ten and Gafu-ten in Japan among numerous other accolades. His english is great, and his energy is fun, making him and his passion for shohin the ideal headliner for our first Shohin School event.

The seminar will be 2 days and is organized entirely by Jonas and myself, not affiliated with BSOP or other any other groups or organizations. It will be at the Milwaukie Center, where BSOP holds its monthly meetings. Daisaku, Jonas and myself will lead interactive group exercises on building shohin displays, pot selections, a super critique, group bring-your-own-tree workshop, and more. A detailed schedule will be out in the end of November, along with T-shirts and other offerings. Vendors will include myself (Rakuyo Bonsai), Bonsai Tonight (Jonas), Left Coast Bonsai, Nao Tokutake, Sansokuu Arts, and Vicki Chamberlain among others creating a marketplace for shohin trees, pots, supplies and stands. Winter Shohin School is the first installment of our multi-seminar-a-year school, and more information is coming soon. In the meantime, registration can be found at https://store.bonsaitonight.com/collections/classes/products/winter-shohin-school

Attendants should bring multiple Shohin to use for display, even if you don’t have a complete display or enough or any stands, and multiple Shohin for the group workshop.“

Wish I could make it to this. Sounds like a fun and educational event!

I’ll hope some of it gets recorded.

Wish I could make it to this. Sounds like a fun and educational event!

I’ll hope some of it gets recorded.
I know the BSOP meetings get recorded and archived, not sure about this event though since it is a ticketed show. Nao is going to bring over a hundred shohin pots and is going to break out some really gorgeous crystal glazes. 😍

I'm curious about how practical it is for someone to bring trees for this, particularly if having to fly or since many have trees buried under snow and/or dormant. Not sure I'd want to pull my trees out and subject them to the journey for this.

I'm curious about how practical it is for someone to bring trees for this, particularly if having to fly or since many have trees buried under snow and/or dormant. Not sure I'd want to pull my trees out and subject them to the journey for this.
I do know there will be vendors selling tree material if you wanted to be there for the workshop itself and the shopping. Let me forward your question to Andrew Robson and see what he has to suggest. If it is of any reassurance I have flown with tons of fruit and plant matter, they take a look and send you along the way (carryon only). Nao brought a whole giant maple from Bill Valvanis in a duffel home from Nationals last year 😂

From Andrew Robson: Attendees aren’t required to bring trees, for many people on the west coast it is fairly easy to. For people around the country we understand that’s a challenge and they can still benefit coming without trees. Vendors will have material available for use during the workshop.

From Andrew Robson: Attendees aren’t required to bring trees, for many people on the west coast it is fairly easy to. For people around the country we understand that’s a challenge and they can still benefit coming without trees. Vendors will have material available for use during the workshop.
Good that there are sources there but you still have the problem of getting the tree home. Thanks for answering though

Good that there are sources there but you still have the problem of getting the tree home. Thanks for answering though
Where would you be coming in from? If you don’t mind the hassle of putting them in a carryon that would be the way to do it (And what I would do - I havent traveled with bonsai personally but lots of plants including orchids, bromeliads, kusamono type plants, veggie starts, between here and Los Angeles or the bay area). Usually I just put them in a paper bag and if the soil isnt loose they go sideways under the seat. For bonsai, if the substrate is loose, a smaller type duffel with a box inside so they stay upright, if it doesnt go under the seat it can go overhead. Since they are shohin they should fit underneath the seat, or definitely overhead. If substrate spillage is a concern, wrap a plastic bag around the pot up to the trunk and tie. Thats how they are shipped. Just my two cents :)

Where would you be coming in from? If you don’t mind the hassle of putting them in a carryon that would be the way to do it (And what I would do - I havent traveled with bonsai personally but lots of plants including orchids, bromeliads, kusamono type plants, veggie starts, between here and Los Angeles or the bay area). Usually I just put them in a paper bag and if the soil isnt loose they go sideways under the seat. For bonsai, if the substrate is loose, a smaller type duffel with a box inside so they stay upright, if it doesnt go under the seat it can go overhead. Since they are shohin they should fit underneath the seat, or definitely overhead. If substrate spillage is a concern, wrap a plastic bag around the pot up to the trunk and tie. Thats how they are shipped. Just my two cents :)

I am in New York. To be completely honest, I am not considering attending. I wouldnt try to fly with a tree.
Just putting it in a carryon, unless it was a hard case and you could really pad against movement and crushing it would risk breaking branches which on a shohin sized tree, could be pretty bad.
Besides, all of my trees are currently in a cold frame in the back yard. I wouldnt want to risk pulling them out of that and subjecting them to increased temperatures when traveling which would risk pulling them out of dormancy. Its just not worth the hassle and the risk to the trees for me. If I was within driving distance, it would be a different matter.

I wish you luck with the program though.

Really wish I could have made it to this, I love Shohin and have respect for all the people involved. I hope it happens again!

Really wish I could have made it to this, I love Shohin and have respect for all the people involved. I hope it happens again!
It hasnt happened yet??! You can still come lol! Bring your friends!

Back
Top Bottom