Willow Leaf Ficus

Engineer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me deciding what to do with this ficus? It was the first bonsai i purched three years ago and although it's not a specimen by any means it has some sentimental value to me. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

affpj7.jpg

Welcome Engineer!

We have been having a number of new people come to the forum asking similar questions recently. Let me turn it around and ask - what do YOU think we should do with this tree? What is it that bothers you? What do you want it to end up being?

Welcome to the Nut House.

Personally, I'd chop (or air layer) above the bottom branch. But BNut asks a great question, what do YOU dislike about it?

I ask the question because right now the tree is a blank canvas. To turn it into a bonsai (classically styled) would take some dramatic work - work that he may or may not want to undergo. I ask the question because we have kinda steamrollered some people lately with "do this do that" and I want to get a sense early on what it is that he wants to accomplish.

I ask the question because right now the tree is a blank canvas. To turn it into a bonsai (classically styled) would take some dramatic work - work that he may or may not want to undergo. I ask the question because we have kinda steamrollered some people lately with "do this do that" and I want to get a sense early on what it is that he wants to accomplish.

Couldn't agree with you more. We need to ask about the posters bonsai background (ie is this their first tree, where do they grow it, etc) before we go telling them what to do and all that. Their background will determine just what they can do and to what extent, IMO.

I'm not sure. I innitially liked the straightness in the trunk and planned on developing it as a formal upright, increasing the taper over time. But three years later its just starting to bore me. I know i shouldn't get antsy and i deff. don't want to risk losing the tree. I was considering airlayering but i was hoping after another growing season (I live in Ohio) i could thicken up the lower branches and wouldn't need to. Lol again, I'm sort of at a crossroads with this one and just looking for some input/ constructive critism.

Oops. Sorry. I'm from north west Ohio, zone 5 I believe. Only 3 years bonsai exp. (more like 2) and the plant in question is growing indoors untill i can put it outside again.

Normally, willow leaf ficus "want" to be low, widespread trees. Of course, in bonsai, "normal" doesn't need to apply, but your feelings about this tree, I think, might indicate you feel it isn't made to be a tall, skinny tree.

You might start by cutting off that top above the uppermost branches, then trimming the branches back to promote some backbudding. Unfortunately, this is not the ideal time of year to start this. I'd wait until late spring at the earliest.

Here are some photos for motivation and reference:

aob_192_ficus_salicifolia.jpg

DSC_0004.JPG

Ernie_Fernandez_Ficus_nerifolia_large.jpg

bb745_408948777_7df427513a_m.jpg

img_9148.jpg

These are all willow leaf fig, but are different designs and would require different techniques to develop. There is obviously a huge gulf between where your tree is and where these trees are, but ALL trees start out small at some point. Depending which direction you want to take your tree we would offer different advice.

I think you could safely chop the top off and pull what looks like another smaller branch up as the apex. You could probably easily root the top you cut off. It would shorten and pull the canopy in tighter.

I think Ryan's idea would be best in the long term however but now wouldn't be the right time.

11-3-2011 11-22-08 AM.jpg

What is the best way to get all of that back budding and the full canopy? Is it continuous pinch and clip?

View attachment 18973

View attachment 18974

View attachment 18975

View attachment 18976

View attachment 18977

These are all willow leaf fig, but are different designs and would require different techniques to develop. There is obviously a huge gulf between where your tree is and where these trees are, but ALL trees start out small at some point. Depending which direction you want to take your tree we would offer different advice.

Well, all but the fourth picture ;)

Engineer, the reason I suggested you chop so low is so that you can work taper into the tree. As of right now it looks like a telephone pole with branches. Now, if you like the look of it then by all means don't do something that dramatic. Now is not the time to do something as dramatic as I recommended, and actually now is not the time to be doing any kind of chopping to ficus, unless you've got sophisticated indoor growing conditions that let you work them year round.

I understand Ryan, and have no intentions of chopping it now. Honestly the low chop/air layer were my innitial thoughts for it, but since i have to wait untill next season anyways i figured I would post a picture and see if you guys had any other suggestions. Also, at the moment i haven't had much success with airlayers and was hoping to find someway around it lol.

Since willow leaf ficus back bud so easily, and you can chop them back hard, I would plant this tree in a much larger growout container and let it grow for a couple years. In the late spring, when temps are above 55 degrees, move it outside until the fall. I do this with mine, and I get the best growth outdoors. The sun will keep the leaves small and the branching dense. With a poly tent or good humidity, you can get some great air roots growing. Feed your ficus well and dont move it around, and it will grow quickly.

Once you are happy with the trunk thickness, you can chop it back and basically put the branches where you want them.

I have noticed that when I move mine back indoors for the fall and winter, it will go through a leaf drop and not really grow much at all until it goes back outdoors in late spring. But I do not use artificial lighting indoors, which I may change this winter. I do have numerous metal halide and T5 flourescent fixtures laying around. Anyways, my best advice is to let it grow unrestrained for at least 1 year, better for 2 years. Then you will have more to work with.

Couldn't agree with you more. We need to ask about the posters bonsai background (ie is this their first tree, where do they grow it, etc) before we go telling them what to do and all that. Their background will determine just what they can do and to what extent, IMO.

Fortunately this guy posted it was his first Bonsai purchase three years ago. I doubt there is much he could do to hurt it as they are tough and prolific growers, although I have never had a willow leaf ficus. I have chopped, defoliated, grafted and layered ficus in winter months, (not all at once!) indoors under normal household lighting and had them shoot new growth in under a week.

If it were mine I would chop the top off just above the second branch and then bend it back about forty degrees and use that now forward branch as my new apex. I would save the chopped off part by sticking a little rooting hormone on it and stuffing it in some soil in case I later wanted to graft it on somewhere or just start a new tree. Or I just may send it to that edprocoat guy as he has never had a willow leaf ficus! :rolleyes:

ed

View attachment 18973

View attachment 18974

View attachment 18975

View attachment 18976

View attachment 18977

Now if those pics would not scare him away from developing that tree nothing would! I guess shooting for the stars is a good thing though...
ed

Back
Top Bottom