White fuzzy mold on soil surface

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good day,

I have some white fuzzy substance growing on my soil surface. I think its maybe mold. Is it anything to worry about? I don't believe I'm over watering, the cutting is a Duranta Repens and it seems to like to be wet. Would water cut with some Hydrogen peroxide maybe help?IMG_20211207_121811.jpg

Last edited:
Molds and mildews form on the surfaces of substrates for a few reasons.

What kind of soil is it?.. Organic component-heavy substrate tends to both retain moisture, as well as foster the correct environment for spores.

How is the airflow around the container?

How much light?

Water THROUGH... when DRY.

🤓

Also.. any “Civilian/consumer Accessible” Hydrogen Peroxide IS “cut”...

When I use Hydrogen Peroxide... I use it.. um... “neat”.

🤣🤣

Nothing to worry about. It'll be gone in a couple days.

Mycelium from most fungi searches far and wide, whatever node finds nutriens, will grow. All the others will retreat or die. In a sense, it's responding to external stimuli, responding to it, and building a pathway for maximum exchange; learning.

Once it's done searching and/or feeding, it'll either sporulate and die, or go dormant until the conditions are right, or stay actively searching (if conditions are right). Either way, if it would hurt your tree, it most likely wouldn't be looking for food in the soil.. It would be creeping under the bark, or gnawing on the roots or foliage.

Molds and mildews form on the surfaces of substrates for a few reasons.

What kind of soil is it?.. Organic component-heavy substrate tends to both retain moisture, as well as foster the correct environment for spores.

How is the airflow around the container?

How much light?

Water THROUGH... when DRY.

🤓
The substrate is pumice and pine bark. I did go a little heavy on the pine bark as the Duranta seems to like to be wet. The pot is in a south facing window sill.

Back
Top Bottom