White Chojubai cuttings to a cascade clump...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I couldn't locate a thread on these other than on a ten year post thread I joined in on. So...starting this for documentation. Five white chojubai cuttings from Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks. *He's got some really good material guys. He does no disapoint. Got them spring 2019...Put them together in the fall. Did nothing to them...just potted. By end of spring they were crazy over grown so I did a hard cut back...into shape. They bloomed...but, I left the FB group in which I shared those images. My phone crashed...and apparently...lost now. But they will bloom again. I find it a charming grouping on the bench...with it being in early stages of its own journey.

Arrived in Spring 2019, left in containers until fall.
69601828_2618805098140476_351350259210780672_n.jpg

Fall I potted them together to make a cascading clump.
80431807_2873576549329995_1133697389903740928_n.jpg

By spring 2020 it was a crazy mess...so I cut back into a nicer, less leggy cascade clump. Early days yet...but...I enjoy having it on my bench.
White Chojubai 2020.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Cadillactaste Very nice, but I do have a question.....aren't the leaves supposed to be a lot smaller for Chojubai? The leaves on mine are tiny compared to yours.

I've attached a pic comparison between cameo and pink chojubai cultivars that I have. Are the leaves on the white chojubai larger?

20200612_125238.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Cadillactaste Very nice, but I do have a question.....aren't the leaves supposed to be a lot smaller for Chojubai? The leaves on mine are tiny compared to yours.

I've attached a pic comparison between cameo and pink chojubai cultivars that I have. Are the leaves on the white chojubai larger?

View attachment 308535
Red chojubai have the tiniest leaves. Brent's site mentions the foliage slightly larger than the red for the white. They are incredibly smaller than regular flowering quince.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Off to a good start!
I have six or eight of them from seed. Do you know if they actually melt together eventually or if they need some help with that?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Red chojubai have the tiniest leaves. Brent's site mentions the foliage slightly larger than the red for the white. They are incredibly smaller than regular flowering quince.
Ok, that makes sense then. I don't have white so I didn't know. Now I do, thanks! :)

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Pitoon Maybe with the initial image... it's distorting the size, giving the illusion of a much larger leaf...I find them still quite small.
View attachment 308537
Mine look just a tad bit smaller, I think it was the picture making them look big. How big is that pot? I have a small lotus shaped pot I was thinking to put mine in. Just need to find the time to do it, too many projects going on at the moment.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mine look just a tad bit smaller, I think it was the picture making them look big. How big is that pot? I have a small lotus shaped pot I was thinking to put mine in. Just need to find the time to do it, too many projects going on at the moment.
You going to make me go out and measure that pot? lol actually...I need to water. I will try and remember to grab a measurement. I will always repot my quince in fall...safer less risk of pathogen issues. I didn't do those cuttings that came in spring...until fall. I kept telling my husband...No you do not see five plants. Those will be planted in one pot. So you see one plant...just not as they should be right now. lol

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The pot is 7"x4" *measuring furthest points of the rim. If that helps. Mind you there is a total of five cuttings grouped together.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Your pot is bigger than I expected. Mine is roughly 4.5" wide and 1" deep. I think I could squeeze in several after some major root pruning.

Here's what mine looks like....

20200612_171637.jpg20200612_171649.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Your pot is bigger than I expected. Mine is roughly 4.5" wide and 1" deep. I think I could squeeze in several after some major root pruning.

Here's what mine looks like....

View attachment 308576View attachment 308577
I have to agree with Tom on this one way to shallow for quince. They prefer deep pots.

Mine flares at the top. Which accounts for being so wide.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Too shallow, quince prefer a deeper pot.
I have to agree with Tom on this one way to shallow for quince. They prefer deep pots.

Mine flares at the top. Which accounts for being so wide.
Yeah I agree, that's one of the reasons I still haven't used this pot yet.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You going to make me go out and measure that pot? lol actually...I need to water. I will try and remember to grab a measurement. I will always repot my quince in fall...safer less risk of pathogen issues. I didn't do those cuttings that came in spring...until fall. I kept telling my husband...No you do not see five plants. Those will be planted in one pot. So you see one plant...just not as they should be right now. lol

When exactly did you repot last fall, Darlene? I have some 2 year old Scarlet and Orange Dreams I will be planting as a clump. I will also be potting some Toyo Nishiki cuttings I got this spring. Thanks! :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When exactly did you repot last fall, Darlene? I have some 2 year old Scarlet and Orange Dreams I will be planting as a clump. I will also be potting some Toyo Nishiki cuttings I got this spring. Thanks! :)
I waited until early fall...The exact date...not sure. When the calender said it was fall...shortly around then. Sounds like some amazing future projects! Love clumps myself...

Top Bottom