Where to start with this Willow leaf ficus

kyle8734

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Where would you guys start with this? Have been wanting to chop it recently but figured I would get your guys input first before jumping into it. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated thanks..15273836187341591658618.jpg15273837404501592949843.jpg15273837962741084565116.jpg15273838642841948420825.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Where to start...

If you prune it hard before it has strong roots, you will not get the results you desire. So first step - make sure the roots are really strong. I would transplant it into an Anderson flat or similar container with really good soil, and give it a season to recover. Give it plenty of room to grow good strong roots - right now that is a small deep pot, when you really want a shallow large pot. Once it is growing like mad in the new pot, you can prune it hard, and the tree will have plenty of strength to push new buds all over the base of the trunk. If you prune it hard when it is weak, you will get only a few buds, or the tree may simply die back or die altogether.

kyle8734

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks, I had moved it into that pot last year because it was horribly pot bound in its previous pot when i bought it and that is all i had laying around at the time but surprisingly it has already filled this pot with roots as well.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fertilise well for a month.
Do a design and show it here.

Print an image and trace over it if you are not good at
drawing.
Let us see what you want.
Good Day
Anthony

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

At the risk of sidetracking this discussion, I would love to ask Brian for his thinking behind the suggested cuts. This is not a critique, but a honest effort to learn. The cuts you suggest seemed far more drastic than what I was thinking I would do (my thought was to cut above that next small branch or maybe even the one above that), so I am trying to learn what you saw but I may be missing. FYI seeing the potential in material is one of my biggest weakness and something I am working on overcoming.
Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Top Bottom