Where to find JBP Pinecones?

Trojan Phil

Sapling
Reaction score
Apologies of this is the wrong place for this.

I al looking for just the pinecones from a JBP. Do not need the seeds, so something that's already don't it's thing it perfect. Only thing I find are either closed with seeds and they want silly money, or random pinecones from who knows what species.

Anyone have an idea where I can find 6 or 8 JBP cones?

Thank you

I've been burning them as firelighters most of the winter but I don't think your USDA will like me posting some over.
I agree with Brian. Check out some botanic gardens or Japanese gardens. Ask the garden staff before picking cones but I suspect they would be happy to help supply a few.

Under JBP trees.
😂

Seriously, go to a public Japanese Garden and you’ll likely find some JBP with cones.
Thanks dude. love the Huntington, but it's a hike as I'm in Palm Springs.

Was hoping someone might have them 'just laying around'.

Will see what pops up

I use my local botanical garden as an excellent source of appropriately harvested seed, cones and (when appropriate) scion wood. Calflora.org or calscape.org are good for finding natives.

Brother I wish, but sadly no.

If you are so inclined, I will gladly Venmo/Zelle you some $$ to throw a few in a USPS box and send them to me.
Trojan Phil. My JBP is full of pinecones but they are green. I am not sure when they will turn brown and open. I never really paid attention. But when the time comes, I will gladly share them with you.

Here is what they look it.

Attachments

• IMG_2369.jpeg
    IMG_2369.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2368.jpeg
    IMG_2368.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2367.jpeg
    IMG_2367.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2371.jpeg
    IMG_2371.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 23
Trojan Phil. My JBP is full of pinecones but they are green. I am not sure when they will turn brown and open. I never really paid attention. But when the time comes, I will gladly share them with you.
That would be most excellent indeed.

Whenever they hit the ground, hit me up! Will gladly cover shipping and a beer tax.

Trojan Phil. I have some JBP pine cones that are ready if you still interested.
Hi @BonsaiPoppie , did those cones yield good seed? I ask because here in the southern hemisphere I've got some cones at a similar stage to your picture from August 2023. I'm hoping mine will round the last bend and be viable come March.

Trojan Phil. I have some JBP pine cones that are ready if you still interested.
@Trojan Phil never really said, but I am assuming he was looking for JBP seeds (?) not just cones for the sake of cones. If so, it might be more practical just to knock a bunch of seeds out of the cones, and send those in an envelope.

Hi @BonsaiPoppie , did those cones yield good seed? I ask because here in the southern hemisphere I've got some cones at a similar stage to your picture from August 2023. I'm hoping mine will round the last bend and be viable come March.
I do not know how good the seeds are. When I planted the tree, it was about three feet high. That was about seven years ago. its now about eleven or twelve feet high. I should plant some in February and see how many seedlings I get.
@Trojan Phil never really said, but I am assuming he was looking for JBP seeds (?) not just cones for the sake of cones. If so, it might be more practical just to knock a bunch of seeds out of the cones, and send those in an envelope.
If I don't hear from him, I'll plant a slug of 'em. Everyone likes a JBP. We have a 9 month growing season out here, so they do grow fast.

Back
Top Bottom