Where to buy Masakuni tools

Dabnphish

Seedling
Reaction score
Masakuni tools seem to be a near impossible grab. I tried ebay and after i paid they said they don't have the set and i cannot cancel it so i asked them to cancel and i am waiting. The japan 1 site i have filled out the form and tried to place an order and nothing. no emails, nothing. Does anyone have a reputable source on acquiring Masakuni tools. I keep hitting dead ends

Masakuni tools seem to be a near impossible grab. I tried ebay and after i paid they said they don't have the set and i cannot cancel it so i asked them to cancel and i am waiting. The japan 1 site i have filled out the form and tried to place an order and nothing. no emails, nothing. Does anyone have a reputable source on acquiring Masakuni tools. I keep hitting dead ends
Where are you located?
If in the U.S., there is/was a place in California that carried them but I can't remember the name at the moment

If Europe

Last edited:
Thanks I’m in Chicago. It’s tough.. the guy refunded me on eBay right now at least. Just crazy tough to get a stainless set.

I'll be honest with you. Masakuni are great tools but you can find very good tools that will serve you for years if you take care of them for a lot less money.

The only masakuni I've ever purchased was needle plucking tweezers because the cheaper ones hurt my hand to use

I have plenty of carbon tools and want a stainless set from Masakuni. I don’t have any issue with the cost.

It is California bonsai studios. The only one in the states to sell masakuni tools
That’s where I got mine, but their website doesn’t seem to be active.
An alternative is Kaneshin, which I have been just about as happy with as the few Masakuni tools I own. Good luck.

I bought quite a few from California Bonsai Studio when Colin Fraser was on here.

I have placed about 10 orders through here in the past few years. https://www.j-bonsai.com/phone/ I found them to be professional and friendly. The prices are great when compared with other sources, like ebay, even with shipping. Payment was made by a paypal invoice. Once you add the items to the cart on the website and checkout, he’ll contact you with availability and cost within a few days. He’s even tracked down what is shown as currently unavailable, if possible, from a display case, etc. Once he has them in hand and they are shipped, they take less than a week to arrive. For me, they have arrived right in the mailbox by USPS, originating from DHL.

They have a few stainless shears, but most of the 8000 series tools are actually plated carbon steel, which to me is the best of both worlds.

The guy’s name is Maki Isano, and while it might take a couple emails back and forth to do the deal, it’s worth it to get what you want. Just DM me if you want his email address.

In 1972 I inquired to Masakuni (the rep in LA.,) on my fathers tool company stationary .immediately we were offered a dealership.
I accepted and did not promise a ton of sales but certainly did sell a large full line of stock Masakuni tools to a local nursery;Bordines of Rochester ( a rather foo faa haughty old nursery in the north burbs of the D) I was quite surprised that they actually responded with such a large order! It was an amazing moment.
Needless to say I also sold them to local club members at a recommended retail level. And the locals got a deal….
As time progressed it became more and more difficult to get stock, (Japan was going through strained economic times) as the rep, Ikeu Imagawa, a great guy( I met him several times in the ‘70’s in LA) finally told me that Masakunii Sr, was not doing well and he pretty much ruled the company.
As time went by they offered a second line called Futaba pretty much the same product at a much lower price point (I’d been familiar with this tactic, as many of the American tool companies being inundated with foreign inferior tools coming from E. Europe at less than half the price points were in the same boat)
In the meantime the yen against the buck, fell so badly in value the prices that Masakuni had just for the wholesale became 5x the retail!
No way could you sell them….
Enter: Kiku and others… then Joshua Roth (American name for a fine Private Japanese competitor)…
Today I think Masakuni is nearly gone….and I do not know what happened to Futaba!
And there is no longer a US rep.
Joshua Roth is probably your best buy for high (Japanese )quality at a price point!

Enter China in the mid 2000’s…..

I reasearched the best by visiting the factory and found one supplier that could nearly match the Masakuni product( name withheld) … and tested a few sets under ASTM standards for tool material and Rockwell hardness: they passed with high marks….
And that’s the End of Masakuni and frankly the “brand” conscience buyer.
China will dominate this as she does other markets…..

Certainly it’s the old buy “American “ in another sense…(meaning Japanese)
But one caveat: all the others (about 3-4 un named Chinese lines) you find on ebay and others are : JUNK!

Just a little history…..

I bought quite a few from California Bonsai Studio when Colin Fraser was on here.

I have placed about 10 orders through here in the past few years. https://www.j-bonsai.com/phone/ I found them to be professional and friendly. The prices are great when compared with other sources, like ebay, even with shipping. Payment was made by a paypal invoice. Once you add the items to the cart on the website and checkout, he’ll contact you with availability and cost within a few days. He’s even tracked down what is shown as currently unavailable, if possible, from a display case, etc. Once he has them in hand and they are shipped, they take less than a week to arrive. For me, they have arrived right in the mailbox by USPS, originating from DHL.

They have a few stainless shears, but most of the 8000 series tools are actually plated carbon steel, which to me is the best of both worlds.

The guy’s name is Maki Isano, and while it might take a couple emails back and forth to do the deal, it’s worth it to get what you want. Just DM me if you want his email address.
In 1972 I inquired to Masakuni (the rep in LA.,) on my fathers tool company stationary .immediately we were offered a dealership.
I accepted and did not promise a ton of sales but certainly did sell a large full line of stock Masakuni tools to a local nursery;Bordines of Rochester ( a rather foo faa haughty old nursery in the north burbs of the D) I was quite surprised that they actually responded with such a large order! It was an amazing moment.
Needless to say I also sold them to local club members at a recommended retail level. And the locals got a deal….
As time progressed it became more and more difficult to get stock, (Japan was going through strained economic times) as the rep, Ikeu Imagawa, a great guy( I met him several times in the ‘70’s in LA) finally told me that Masakunii Sr, was not doing well and he pretty much ruled the company.
As time went by they offered a second line called Futaba pretty much the same product at a much lower price point (I’d been familiar with this tactic, as many of the American tool companies being inundated with foreign inferior tools coming from E. Europe at less than half the price points were in the same boat)
In the meantime the yen against the buck, fell so badly in value the prices that Masakuni had just for the wholesale became 5x the retail!
No way could you sell them….
Enter: Kiku and others… then Joshua Roth (American name for a fine Private Japanese competitor)…
Today I think Masakuni is nearly gone….and I do not know what happened to Futaba!
And there is no longer a US rep.
Joshua Roth is probably your best buy for high (Japanese )quality at a price point!

Enter China in the mid 2000’s…..

I reasearched the best by visiting the factory and found one supplier that could nearly match the Masakuni product( name withheld) … and tested a few sets under ASTM standards for tool material and Rockwell hardness: they passed with high marks….
And that’s the End of Masakuni and frankly the “brand” conscience buyer.
China will dominate this as she does other markets…..

Certainly it’s the old buy “American “ in another sense…(meaning Japanese)
But one caveat: all the others (about 3-4 un named Chinese lines) you find on ebay and others are : JUNK!

Just a little history…..
Thank you very very much for this history lesson!!! I always love a great back story!!! Right now I am told sets are 6 month wait times. So snagging individual pieces as they pop up seems to be the way to go. Very interesting story and thank you again for sharing!!

At the tail end of the 90’s they showed a series of very limited highly polished and 24k gold trade marked hammered into the shank of each tool. I bought a few at rocket high prices ($300+ each) I only imagine what they’d go for now. I have one away to the Japanese consulate in the D years back and sold one to a friend. I still have and treasure the last pair of # 28 shears and if I can find them I show them.(we’ve moved a couple bog months now and still searching for “stuff” hah!)

I guess I am stuck waiting for the admin or bonsai nut.. I had to dm them first I guess because every time I dmed you it said “Oops please one of the following bonsai nut or admin”.. obviously because I am a new member.

So it seems my searching has turned to Europe where I have found a few shops that sell a variety of Masakuni tools. I just searched Masakuni Europe and a few popped right up. I hope this helps others acquire some goodies.

CA Bonsai Studio hasn't been able to get Masakuni for a while now.... don't hold your breath.

I have plenty of carbon tools and want a stainless set from Masakuni. I don’t have any issue with the cost.
Masakuni hasn't been responding to their rep (Travis) here in CA.

Joshua Roth has high quality SS tools from Japan.
Ryuga has more affordable (I know you said money isn't an issue) SS tools from China as well. Many retailers around the world have been reporting good reviews about Ryuga.

Am I biased? Yes.

Colin is still there.
But, he's not the actual Masakuni contact. Travis is/was.

Back
Top Bottom