Where to buy cheapest bonsai soil in bulk?

• Thread starter Deleted member 49943
  • Start date
Out here many folks drive out, dig it, and sift away.

Yet others, including myself, swear by General Pumice 29.99/ 3 gallons presifted pumice.
Shipping included.
I know I save over double than I see anywhere else online by picking up at the local bonsai nursery. I’d look local you will save shipping stuff like that usually doubles the price.
That would be a good first option. Sadly our local bonsai shop closed down. Some smaller new ones cropped up. Higher prices, indifferent inventory levels/quality etc. Hopefully this will be resolved in a year or two.

cheers
DSD sends

Sadly our local bonsai shop closed down. Some smaller new ones cropped up.
Curious about local bonsai history, what was the old shop? I know of one of the smaller ones you're referring I believe, but always happy to hear about more shops.

I also wonder if there might not be some pumice wholesalers around.

Shipping included.

That would be a good first option. Sadly our local bonsai shop closed down. Some smaller new ones cropped up. Higher prices, indifferent inventory levels/quality etc. Hopefully this will be resolved in a year or two.

cheers
DSD sends
That’s a bummer. Why did they close?

FWIW I know you say you don’t like perlite, but I find when it’s sifted to the proper size and in a mostly inorganic mix it does not float. 25% Napa 25% turface 25% sifted perlite 20% sifted fir bark and 5% bitumous charcoal Is working very well for me. Water runs straight through but stays moist. The fir bark helps with the ph range for our tap water in Metairie, which is actually not bad. I’m watering this mix twice a day right now. When the perlite in your mix is similarly size with the rest of the components you may notice less floating. It’s cheaper to ship and it’s cheaper than pumice also.

Out here many folks drive out, dig it, and sift away.

Yet others, including myself, swear by General Pumice 29.99/ 3 gallons presifted pumice.

btw. One might consider recycling their media? It takes some time, but alleviates one from constantly ordering more and more bags of media unnecessarily/expensively? Many folks do this to good effect.

cheers
DSD sends
That's what? The same size as an akadama bag right? 11 liters doing the conversion. It's not bad if you need the 3/16 size, but for most people, BuildaSoil is still the cheaper and better option. That comes up to 6.2 Imperial Gallon or 7.4 US liquid Gallon, I don't know which one they use for volume measurement.

Here is a picture of the bag next to a 2 littler soda bottle for scale.

1692639794332.jpeg

1692639810085.jpeg

You can also get pumice here: The Pumice Store
That was my first option when I was shopping around a few years back, but their shipping prices were through the roof. Have not checked the prices lately.

FWIW I know you say you don’t like perlite, but I find when it’s sifted to the proper size and in a mostly inorganic mix it does not float. 25% Napa 25% turface 25% sifted perlite 20% sifted fir bark and 5% bitumous charcoal Is working very well for me. Water runs straight through but stays moist. The fir bark helps with the ph range for our tap water in Metairie, which is actually not bad. I’m watering this mix twice a day right now. When the perlite in your mix is similarly size with the rest of the components you may notice less floating. It’s cheaper to ship and it’s cheaper than pumice also.
I have used perlite, and it all depends on how you water... if you use a hose and don't have top soil dressing, perlite will always float. Maybe not the one buried down, but whatever is close to the top 1/2" - 1" of soil depending on the depth of the pot will find its way up.

That's what? The same size as an akadama bag right? 11 liters doing the conversion. It's not bad if you need the 3/16 size, but for most people, BuildaSoil is still the cheaper and better option. That comes up to 6.2 Imperial Gallon or 7.4 US liquid Gallon, I don't know which one they use for volume measurement.

Here is a picture of the bag next to a 2 littler soda bottle for scale.

View attachment 504278

View attachment 504279

That was my first option when I was shopping around a few years back, but their shipping prices were through the roof. Have not checked the prices lately.
So this bag is roughly $40 shipping included? If so that is the best deal I’ve seen online. Thanks for the reference. 👍

The pumice from build a soil is mostly too big and every time I’ve tried to get it from them they never have the bag with the included shipping in stock.

That link talks about the grade of pumice at the pumice store that is specific for Bonsai. For $30 more of shipping cost, you could get four times that volume from the pumice store.com
I checked them out and do like that they have a variety of sizes so less sifting and sorting. It’s nice to get more of the size you really need. I ran out of pumice recently. Even though I can get it at a lower price at the nursery I will keep this place in mind.

Curious about local bonsai history, what was the old shop? I know of one of the smaller ones you're referring I believe, but always happy to hear about more shops.

I also wonder if there might not be some pumice wholesalers around.
Believe DSD refers to Bonsai North West, was in Tukwila for decades

Believe DSD refers to Bonsai North West, was in Tukwila for decades
Ah makes sense, though I believe it's open under a new owner.
Also I feel sorry for all you poor bastards, I get 1/2 yd of pumice which is 100 gallons for $39
I would love to hear where. Imagine it's a local wholesaler?

The pumice from build a soil is mostly too big and every time I’ve tried to get it from them they never have the bag with the included shipping in stock.
The bag with the included shipping is the same size/price as everyone else. You get 1/2 a cubic foot for $32 when you can get 1 cubic foot for $37 shipped... I weigh my bag since they don't advertise volume. 34 lb.

Just priced a 45 lb bag of RŪTSU™ EIGHTS (Pumice Grow Media), $62 shipped. 11 lb more for $25 is not that appealing to me, just to get some 1/8" added into the mix. Biggest thing would be how is the ratio divided. I only use pumice for developing trees, and they use the 1/4-3/8 size, I save the 1/16-1/8 for small trees once they go into pots. Their price point is right between buildasoil and the others. Not bad, but still not cheaper. I will probably contact them for frieght charges to see if they come cheaper than the yard tote shipped through buildasoil.
Also I feel sorry for all you poor bastards, I get 1/2 yd of pumice which is 100 gallons for $39
Yeap, almost everyone in the PNW area or close to a pumice-rich area gets the same deal. Bjorn was talking on a podcast that he used to pay $50 for a yard, and I think Jonas or someone else mentioned the same.

I do agree that their particles are on the bigger side, but they are as advertised 1/4"-3/8". Ultimately its a matter of preference, their particles suits me fine, if I ever need anything smaller I know where to buy.

On top is their pumice in the smaller tote, the one in the bigger one is mixed with Bonsai JAck Monto Clay and Bonsai Block I used for my collected bald cypress.

1692660639290.jpeg

1692660736175.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom