Where do you get your bulk substrate?

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As I am just getting into this hobby, I want to have basic control over what mixtures of soil I use for my various trees, instead of buying pre-mix from Amazon in 2-quart bags. I am thinking that I probably want individual containers of:

Akadama (perhaps medium size for established trees, and small size for seedlings or smaller trees)
Pumice
Lava Rock
Pine Bark
Sphagnum Moss
Builder's Sand (no salt content)

Where do you all get your individual soil components? Are there any substrate materials that you would put on that list for a beginner, or substitute out?

Akadama and pumice are not readily available near us. Best bet is to join with your local bonsai club for shared purchases. Otherwise online

I've bought some great and cheap lava from Partek Peat in Great Meadows NJ. See my post Here

Pine bark is easier to find, but it must be sifted as the sizes are all over the place.
Sphagnum moss might be used for topping or a bit in acidic soils.
The sand will be too small to use in a mix, but maybe as a seed starting medium.

And you might want to consider DE. NAPA 8822. Lots of threads on that. Very cheap and very easy to find.

I've bought pine bark, sand and sphagnum from a local garden supply in Glenside. Primex

Sift away!
CW

As I am just getting into this hobby, I want to have basic control over what mixtures of soil I use for my various trees, instead of buying pre-mix from Amazon in 2-quart bags. I am thinking that I probably want individual containers of:

Akadama (perhaps medium size for established trees, and small size for seedlings or smaller trees)
Pumice
Lava Rock
Pine Bark
Sphagnum Moss
Builder's Sand (no salt content)

Where do you all get your individual soil components? Are there any substrate materials that you would put on that list for a beginner, or substitute out?
Organic/yard debris recycling center. Landscaping materials supply.

I've had great success with Napa #8822. Pine bark can be bought at Lowes and Home Depot. Look for "soil conditioner" or " 100% organic compost". You'll have to sift the fines out of both of these products.

I’ve bought some from Superfly bonsai; that may be in driving distance for you or they ship free over a certain amount. If you’re set on having those components. They sell in up to 16 qt bags I think

I've bought most of mine at the annual Mid Atlantic Bonsai Societies show held every year somewhere in PA, NJ or CT. Next year it's in NJ.

Super fly Bonsai attends along with several other vendors that sell bonsai soil.

I've also purchased from American Bonsai Co.

Back
Top Bottom