When to Dig and When to Chop - How To Develop Sweetgums?

Labreapits

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I found a bunch of Sweetgum trees that are 1.5" up to 3+" trunk diameter. I want to dig some of them and get them in pots ready to be chopped to start tapering.

I have a few questions that I have searched and haven't found what I am looking for. Here goes:

When is the best time to dig these trees? I am in north Alabama, zone 7b, it freezes here in the winter.

How long should I wait before I chop them? I have read some trees you can chop the same year you dig them and some should be left alone until the following year.

What about chopping them while they are still in the ground?
Would it be better to dig them and replant in the ground on a tile? and chop?

Basically, I would love any advice on how to develop these trees. They are located on my property so I do not have to do anything to them immediately.

Here are a few pics. I will get better ones of the trunks tomorrow. Took these in a hurry for identification purposes.

Thanks everyone!

I found a bunch of Sweetgum trees that are 1.5" up to 3+" trunk diameter. I want to dig some of them and get them in pots ready to be chopped to start tapering.

I have a few questions that I have searched and haven't found what I am looking for. Here goes:

When is the best time to dig these trees? I am in north Alabama, zone 7b, it freezes here in the winter.

How long should I wait before I chop them? I have read some trees you can chop the same year you dig them and some should be left alone until the following year.

What about chopping them while they are still in the ground?
Would it be better to dig them and replant in the ground on a tile? and chop?

Basically, I would love any advice on how to develop these trees. They are located on my property so I do not have to do anything to them immediately.

Here are a few pics. I will get better ones of the trunks tomorrow. Took these in a hurry for identification purposes.

Thanks everyone!

I would like to know the same thing. I have read conflicting information on this. I have read a site that says May and June are a good time to dig them but have also read that you shouldn't dig them after the leaves have come out. I have a few on my property that I would like to dig just not sure if I should wait till next year or not. I did read from a study done that June is the best time to air layer them. June gives the best time for success for air layering.

I have one in my growing bed that will need to be dug in a year or two. I plan to do it in spring before the buds open. That's my standard recommendation for most deciduous trees. So far I've had no problems doing it that way.

As for chopping and where to grow...if you're going to be chopping a 3" trunk and then trying to grow the next trunk segment to get decent taper, that process will take some time...especially in a pot. I'd probably chop it while it is in the ground, then plan to dig a year or two later. Take advantage of all the energy stored in those roots to grow that next section. I'd then probably put it back in the ground on a tile or board. If these are wild (seedlings) the root systems will probably need a lot of work.

Without a doubt, 100% sure, you should collect and/or repot them in MAY OR JUNE only!! Not spring!

Collect in May and defoliate it. Wash all native soil out.

You have to read everything on Zach's website. He knows what he is doing, trust me. He said to collect A. Hornbeam BEFORE buds swell, contradictory to the commonly accepted time during bud swell. I listened to him, and it budded out strongly and is healthy!

Same for you Chris!

Yeah, I don't think I'll be doing that. May/June in his climate would be equivalent to June/July up here. Our trees haven't even leafed out yet. When I planted mine in the ground, I unpotted and did extensive root work before planting, and that was in spring before bud burst. No problems. I see the original poster is from Alabama, so it might make sense for him to follow Zach's approach.

Thanks for the info. I am reading Zach's website now. You are right Joe, its a great resource.

Back
Top Bottom