When Does Fall Repotting Begin?

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ve seen the posts about some professionals repotting Chojubai in the summer along with the more recommended Fall timing. My question is when is Fall? And how long before a potential first frost do you need to repot.

Zone 6a NE KS, our avg first frost is Oct 22nd. It looks like it will be warmer longer into October this year. But we are getting some hot dry weather in the mid- to low 90sF into Oct. 6th.

I overwintered the chojubai in the garage with lights last year. So I’m not as worried about a frost.

But what about other Fall repots like some pines? Is it Mugos that are a Fall repot candidate?

Thanks

IMG_5467.jpegIMG_5468.jpeg

I’ve seen the posts about some professionals repotting Chojubai in the summer along with the more recommended Fall timing. My question is when is Fall? And how long before a potential first frost do you need to repot.

Zone 6a NE KS, our avg first frost is Oct 22nd. It looks like it will be warmer longer into October this year. But we are getting some hot dry weather in the mid- to low 90sF into Oct. 6th.

I overwintered the chojubai in the garage with lights last year. So I’m not as worried about a frost.

But what about other Fall repots like some pines? Is it Mugos that are a Fall repot candidate?

Thanks

Mugo are not a fall repot. Spring and some will do them in summer after fathers day and before September.

I am not sure what other species would be safe for a fall repot. I repot everything in spring.

In any case I would want at least 2 months prior to threat of a freeze to allow some root recovery but IMO it is risky. Repot in spring allows much more time for recovery, growth, strength and energy regain prior to winter and dormancy. If the tree can't regain enough vigor prior to winter, you risk losing it if you have a harsh winter.

I think people who live in areas with mild winters can get away with fall repotting bettr than people that live in areas that experience much colder, snowier winters.

I will wait. There are only about 6 weeks between fall and spring in Cajun land.

I have already done most of my fall repots.
For me, the cool nights with morning-dew are a sign for fall repot, with at least a week of cooler weather a requirement. In fall MANY species will grow roots in response to leaf-drop / winter prep, so it is a really good time, IF your fall weather allows.

An itsy bitzy frosting will not be an issue. But a through-andthrough frost I would not want for ~6 weeks.

An itsy bitzy frosting will not be an issue. But a through-andthrough frost I would not want for ~6 weeks
This... Mirai recommends between 6-8 weeks before hard frost.

Brent has a decent article on fall repotting. Quite a few people here don't agree with it, but you will not know if it works for you unless you try it.

This... Mirai recommends between 6-8 weeks before hard frost.

Brent has a decent article on fall repotting. Quite a few people here don't agree with it, but you will not know if it works for you unless you try it.
I have some small black pines I'm going to do something between a slip pot and repot on this fall, just increasing container size, in hope of a full season of 2024 growth. Especially if it isn't as hot as it was this year.

I would like to note that a lot of these recommendations on fall re-potting ("Mirai recommends between 6-8 weeks before hard frost" etc, etc) do not take into consideration that the person repotting might be protecting the tree/root system during the winter to avoid freeze problems.

Thanks

View attachment 510814View attachment 510815
I have pretty much the same weather as you. I tried a late August repot on a mugo pine a few years ago and half of its branches died. Might have been user error, because I was only a year in then. I've done some 2-3 year old seedlings in September and emergency repotted a juniper when the pot fell off the deck and broke. I don't do any fall re-potting by choice now, especially because I don't have great winter protection. I'd probably be more willing to try it out with a greenhouse or a temp-stable garage or something.

If I was going to try it out, I'd probably watch the weather and try it right before favorable weather for a few days in a row (highs no higher than the low 80's).

I have some small black pines I'm going to do something between a slip pot and repot on this fall, just increasing container size, in hope of a full season of 2024 growth. Especially if it isn't as hot as it was this year.
My JBPs exploded this year, and I repotted them mid spring. Even with almost 73 days of 100+ weather this year. I am repotting one JBP seedling this year, only one I have growing on a plastic container into a ROR setting. I think I will protect it a little since we are still hitting 90s, and protect it from hard freezes in my garage (usually first 2 weeks of February).

Last year I moved 2 two year old JBPs in early fall with minor root work, from a 4" container and they did not skip a beat, those I had to repot in spring 2023 because they had already filled the 1 gal root pouch I moved them into. If I do that again I would go with a bigger pouch. Brent had similar experience with them. I think it is one of the species he said that he always had 1--% success.

I would like to note that a lot of these recommendations on fall re-potting ("Mirai recommends between 6-8 weeks before hard frost" etc, etc) do not take into consideration that the person repotting might be protecting the tree/root system during the winter to avoid freeze problems.
AS a note... Mirai does not recommend repotting in fall, that was an answer he gave in the Forum Q&A to someone that said he "had" to get the tree repotted in fall due to severe root bound conditions.

If you read the article, this is a key point Brent makes. Because roots that grow the entire season have higher cold tolerance that nice fresh fleshy roots that grow during fall.
much of my failed fall transplants were due to killer freezes

I'd also note that different severity of root reduction calls for different timing and after care.
I have been wondering this topic for a while myself and based on my observations, I should wait until the high in the day is below 80F while low in the night is above 50F if I want to bare root some deciduous. If I am just doing minor root work, the high can be around 85F and I am fine.
I think I have about 2 weeks to bare root in the fall in general.

Mugo are not a fall repot. Spring and some will do them in summer after fathers day and before September.
Thank you for the correction.

I don't do any fall re-potting by choice now, especially because I don't have great winter protection. I'd probably be more willing to try it out with a greenhouse or a temp-stable garage or something.
Thanks, I’ll give it a go with up sizing chojubai cuttings and full repot on a slightly larger one since they will go in the garage.

Back
Top Bottom