What's happening to Frank...again.

Most people living in the UK have their elms outside all year long (I'm under the impression Frank is an elm).
In the coldest parts of the UK, they may need a little bit of winter protection (mostly from cold rain & wind).

It is normal for many trees to lose leaves whenever you suddenly change their environment (like moving it outside/inside).
Is there a particular reason you feel you need to keep yours inside?
I think we are all a little confused about this, especially if you were advised to put him outside before.

Your substrate should be fine if it is the Tesco type cat litter that is recommended in the UK (non clumping, made of molar clay).

Not knowing how you water & feed your tree and not knowing if it could have a disease or not;
I would suggest moving it outside asap and leave it there.
Not just for a few days, not a whole lot will change for a tree in just a few days. See if it looks better in a few weeks from now.

Remember that wind can sometimes dry out a tree almost as fast as the sun can, so check your tree everyday, water as needed.
And make sure it can't get blown over by wind (tie it down if needed).

(Do you really want an indoor bonsai tree, and that's why you still keep Frank inside?
If so, you can look at different types of tropical trees instead.
They will generally do fine indoors under some quality grow lights. )

Best of luck from one rookie to another, hope your Frank pulls through :)

It actually says on the box....repeat at 14 day intervals. As I said this is what I'd done, but wasn't sure if it was a week or 2 weeks I'd done it as it was ages ago now....so I did do it as the box said.
read a bit about Rose Clear, its a systemic and says use 4 times per year, I doubt that means 4 times in 4 weeks. A systemic should have been good after one application.

Thanks for the advice, and being friendly.
The reason I've been reserved about keeping him outside is because in my garden there is no shade and as most people have said he needs shade when first put outdoors. And considering we've had a bit of a heat wave this year, I thought it wouldn't be such a good idea as the leaves would burn. But I'm now in progress of making something to create a bit of shade. Thankyou!!
Most people living in the UK have their elms outside all year long (I'm under the impression Frank is an elm).
In the coldest parts of the UK, they may need a little bit of winter protection (mostly from cold rain & wind).

It is normal for many trees to lose leaves whenever you suddenly change their environment (like moving it outside/inside).
Is there a particular reason you feel you need to keep yours inside?
I think we are all a little confused about this, especially if you were advised to put him outside before.

Your substrate should be fine if it is the Tesco type cat litter that is recommended in the UK (non clumping, made of molar clay).

Not knowing how you water & feed your tree and not knowing if it could have a disease or not;
I would suggest moving it outside asap and leave it there.
Not just for a few days, not a whole lot will change for a tree in just a few days. See if it looks better in a few weeks from now.

Remember that wind can sometimes dry out a tree almost as fast as the sun can, so check your tree everyday, water as needed.
And make sure it can't get blown over by wind (tie it down if needed).

(Do you really want an indoor bonsai tree, and that's why you still keep Frank inside?
If so, you can look at different types of tropical trees instead.
They will generally do fine indoors under some quality grow lights. )

Best of luck from one rookie to another, hope your Frank pulls through :)

Firstly Thanks for the advice but you could of been a little more friendly and a little less overbearing

Secondly, I didn't 'decide it's the wrong advice'....and tbh I get put off asking if I get replies like this which aren't so friendly....

And thirdly...I know they don't like to be moved that's why I've tried to not do it that often....also my garden has no shade... this is why I had troubles the first time, because it was put out into full sun all day, straight away.
I see you have MANY threads on this one tree. Please stop making new threads every time you have an issue. By continuing to post in the same thread, people do not have to ask the same questions time and again. If I look back, the "do not grow this indoors" has been discussed at least twice before with regards to this elm. So.. If you put it outside, and you do not see an improvement after 3 days, do not decide it is the wrong advice, but ASK.

Trees do NOT like to be moved around. So moving it outside is pressure to perform. Then, after a few days you move it in again. And again the tree needs to change its ways. As trees need weeks to fully adjust to real changes in placement but respond to stress with a matter of days, you are putting the tree through lots of problems.

Move it outside to a place where it only receives sun for a few hours in the early morning. The rest of the day something like dappled shade somewhere, untill you see lots of foliage again (e.g., all branches have started to grow). Then you can move it to more sun. Mine is in full sun, all day. The trunk of trees can get sunburn and summersun is not a good idea if there are only few leaves. Water enough to keep the soil damp. Besides that, do nothing. Just wait. If the situation gets worse, update. In 2 weeks you should see swelling of buds.

I live in the UK - Yorkshire. The only elm I ever killed was one I kept indoors when I was starting out. Unless it's below -5C I don't even consider moving it into an unheated garage for a night til it gets over that temperature. Even if it stays alive inside it will never look "good" - they go all staggly and unkempt due to the low light levels.

It actually says on the box....repeat at 14 day intervals. As I said this is what I'd done, but wasn't sure if it was a week or 2 weeks I'd done it as it was ages ago now....so I did do it as the box said.
ok, in your first post you said weekly. Just put the tree outside and try not to over fuss with it. patience is a requirement for this.

Not an elm, but this pic is of two junipers the same age, one kept outdoors and one that was indoors on a windowsill for over a year. It's pretty telling the difference it makes.

Attachments

• IMG_20180514_155022.jpg
    IMG_20180514_155022.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 24
Firstly Thanks for the advice but you could of been a little more friendly and a little less overbearing
Understand your annoyance but think about it from the point of view of those trying to help you. We shouldn't have to search out old threads to find out what you've done with the tree in the past, and we really shouldn't be expected to remember that you were growing it indoors, or even have to ask. You should provide as much information as possible about what you've been doing with the tree. That said, the best course will be to set up some kind of temporary shade outside so you can gradually expose the tree to more sun. Then next year, just keep it out in full sun all year and it should do much better.

Secondly, I didn't 'decide it's the wrong advice'....and tbh I get put off asking if I get replies like this which aren't so friendly....

And thirdly...I know they don't like to be moved that's why I've tried to not do it that often....also my garden has no shade... this is why I had troubles the first time, because it was put out into full sun all day, straight away.

Dont fret. You're on the right track. Live or Die, you're learning.

ok, in your first post you said weekly. Just put the tree outside and try not to over fuss with it. patience is a requirement for this.

I agree. If you only have 1 tree I'd put it outside in full sun. Water twice daily if the soil allows it.... if not Water once and mist twice.

I have this Ficus Too-Little. It's outside...but I know some have better luck with keeping ficus indoors. If you are somewhat hoping to grow an indoor tree. But don't wish to come right out and say so... Some are better species for it. Sadly...Chinese elm have been stated they can be grown inside on some sites. What they don't say is they don't look happy nor healthy. I would like to say...one member here mentioned not long ago on a thread,that after 2-3 years even her ficus want back outdoors. So there is that too. But you could set this elm outside...and buy a ficus for that indoor window ledge. Best of both worlds. If you sit outside at all...you can admire the one out there.
image.jpg
Love siting outside and looking over to my back patio table. Admiring the trees. Guests always comment on their favorite. It's interesting to see which likes which one too. You find success in this one outside...I see more in your future as well. Fungus happens, as does pests. Hiccups along ones path. Offering essentials like sun and an outside atmosphere just makes it less hard.
image.jpg
Hm-mm buy another box? Either or...because you weren't clear earlier with me either. It's not worth raking you over the coals for. ?

"Firstly" comment was...not as friendly as you were asking to be treated. ~Just saying...

Interesting. I just reread my post and do not find it unfriendly, nor overbearing, and was not meant to be unfriendly or verbearing, but informative and helping you to get the best responses, yet making life for all on the forum a little easier.. Maybe I was stressing some points, but that is because it is hard to find focus in long pieces of tekst.

In any case. International fora = different ways of formulating things. In general I try to not look at the form of things being written, but at the content. But well, that's me I suppose.

I'd put "Frank" on suicide watch and keep him away from any nearby ledges.
Ridley

reason I've been reserved about keeping him outside is because in my garden there is no shade and as most people have said he needs shade when first put outdoors.
If its not too late in your growing season...just put it out there and let the leaves get hammered by the sun, they'll all drop off and it'll grow new leaves that will be tolerant of the sun.

Back
Top Bottom