What the what...is it?

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Weird. It looks like a jellyfish that started sprouting leaves. A+ for the most out-of-thebox bonsai I've ever seen.

Attachments

• Largelionsmanejellyfish.jpg
    Largelionsmanejellyfish.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 39
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I struggled to find this thread again but I saw this online and it reminded me of your olive and I just had to share it.. I found it cool, maybe you’ll find it cool too. I searched for a clue on whose tree it is or where it’s from and found nothing. Anyway, here it is..

EEAD0CCB-5966-4CED-B171-4EA149042399.jpeg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I struggled to find this thread again but I saw this online and it reminded me of your olive and I just had to share it.. I found it cool, maybe you’ll find it cool too. I searched for a clue on whose tree it is or where it’s from and found nothing. Anyway, here it is..

View attachment 257897
That's been discussed here before. Stunning tree. I am thinking it was possibly a ficus? But I don't recall a name of who owned it. Gnarly for sure!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
To me...looking at past images...the roots are looking to get bark texture on them. I know Adair mentioned they would over time. I'm still not quite soild on a front. So not putting this in any proper pot until I figure that out. No rush...Olive July 2020.jpg

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I had ones vote on this in a group on Facebook...this was their favorite chosen front. I think...it may because the roots flare more than look like straight poles holding up a tree. So this I believe will be my chosen front. Come summer next year...we will give it new shoes. Pot is by Erin Pottery...It is the same width as the pot it's currently in now. So should work fine. Looking forward to repot with this one.
OLIVE FINAL FRONT CHOSEN 2020.jpgErin pot for potential Olive.jpg

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Superb thread 👍

Very positive, when we see the starting point (Alien embryo ...) and what you got, I think most of us wouldn't have tried anything with the "starting material", and you can be proud of the result .

Love this unusual " alien bonsai " and the pottery !

👏

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Superb thread 👍

Very positive, when we see the starting point (Alien embryo ...) and what you got, I think most of us wouldn't have tried anything with the "starting material", and you can be proud of the result .

Love this unusual " alien bonsai " and the pottery !

👏
Thank you...spoke to Adair...and the alien bonsai got new shoes today. Because he is actively growing. I was solid in waiting until 2021...But when an olive is actively growing...it's fine. Back out in full sun...

THE BOG MONSTER...
OLIVE WOW IN POT 2020 (2).jpg

Before watering in...
OLIVE after repot (2).jpg

Last edited:

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
All this reminds me of this sentence from the book by Francis Hallé, a French botanist in his book " Praise of the Plant " ( Éloge de la plante ) .

"If they do not defend themselves when they are harmed, they are very sensitive to the attentions, however awkward, that are given to them.
A little common sense and respect, a little good soil, a little warmth of water and light, for a magical result "

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Instagram post today on this one.

arbuscula

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8+
Have just come across your post @Cadillactaste - keep visiting and finding different posts catching my attention...
Reading through this, got to 6th Aug 2020 (but hadn't noticed the date at that stage)... Reading on about a possible repot & position as shown chosen on a FB group...
Was about to respond and then saw your following post showing the repot - 🥰.
I was pleased to see you'd put it more upright - which I was about to suggest *until* checking the dates of postings 😉🤣. Great pot and position back in August '20... just wondering how it's come on since then? I doubt I'll be disappointed if you posted an update - or link to one 😉

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Have just come across your post @Cadillactaste - keep visiting and finding different posts catching my attention...
Reading through this, got to 6th Aug 2020 (but hadn't noticed the date at that stage)... Reading on about a possible repot & position as shown chosen on a FB group...
Was about to respond and then saw your following post showing the repot - 🥰.
I was pleased to see you'd put it more upright - which I was about to suggest *until* checking the dates of postings 😉🤣. Great pot and position back in August '20... just wondering how it's come on since then? I doubt I'll be disappointed if you posted an update - or link to one 😉
I'll have to grab a photo. It's pot is still buried. Anxious to pull it from the one it's in come summer when it's growing strong. As it's full of roots. Root work is not now for these. A few posts back. I've video footage of December. But no still shots. I'll grab one for you if I think of it.

I cut my teeth here. You'll find a lot of posts from me. I did take a long breather for a bit. But I'm back...just selective in what I post and read.

arbuscula

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8+
I'll have to grab a photo. It's pot is still buried. Anxious to pull it from the one it's in come summer when it's growing strong. As it's full of roots. Root work is not now for these. A few posts back. I've video footage of December. But no still shots. I'll grab one for you if I think of it.

I cut my teeth here. You'll find a lot of posts from me. I did take a long breather for a bit. But I'm back...just selective in what I post and read.
Thanks for your reply @Cadillactaste 🙂

No rush on the photo/photos... certainly don't want anything disturbing just to appease my (idol) curiosity 🙏 🙂. I can wait... or, if I can't, I've about 10 weeks or more to look back through your posts here/Instagram to see if i can find one before getting to my trees when (if) spring arrives in my part of the UK 😉
It was just a 'thought' popping in my head at the time and fingers just transferred it to the post... 😉

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well...it falls under mame classification if we go by the size permitted on our mame contest. Raw stock...oh, seller says it's a Black Olive. Will have to let this one grow out and study it some to decide on a direction. To quirky to pass up. Not for everyone...I do get that.

Size : width 2 1/2"
Tall just a little over 3"
Look like the aliens from Arrival

Top Bottom