What Kind of Soil?

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a friend who acquired a ficus bonsai some years back and it has a very meaningful sentimental value to her. She knows I do bonsai and has asked me to repot it for her since it hasn't been repotted in some time. The tree stays indoors at all times and does very well. My question is I don't have any ficus in my collection and am not certain what soil would be best for this tree. The last time I saw it it looked to have plain household nursery plant type soil but I'm not sure. I would hate to have her tree die from using the wrong soil meaning if it doesn't drain very well and holds water. The simple solution would be to use a well draining soil like I use on my trees but I would also hate to have her not water enough and again possibly die. Anyone who could offer some advice on their soil mixture would really help especially if their tree is basically and indoor tree also. TIA. :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have only one large ficus bonsai and I keep it in a standard three-part inorganic bonsai mix. It has done well for over a decade - you just need to stay up on the water and fertilizer.

If I were use organics, I would use something chunky like pine bark fines (which are really the only organic mix I use in my bonsai mixes).

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It comes down to care. The saying about using marbles for soil as long as the watering is correct ...and all that.

I would think this would be best handled with a conversation. Ask her if she's willing to give it the care it would need w/ an inorganic well-draining mix. If that's outside of what she's willing or able to do, then your decision should reflect that.

I have very few tropicals and they're pretty neglected so I don't feel comfortable giving recommendations.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My tropicals are all in 2/3 inorganic and 1/3 coarse organic. They do spend the warm seasons outside, but that soil mix serves them well indoors over the winter.

Russ1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ficus can handle on the dryer side...They store water in the roots. I have a few that I have had for many, many years and always have used equal parts Sand, Turface and Pine Bark. Last year I moved to Lava, Turface and Pine Bark for both a Ficus Benjamina and Ficus Nerifolia and they look happy. But I also have a tall one as a house plant in potting soil that gets very dry sometimes until I feel like watering it. If you want to be cautious about it and it's in regular potting soil now just add like 30% perlite or pumice until she gets use to watering and then move to full Bonsai mix next time..

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I usually do 50% akadama, 25% pumice, 25% lava for ficus

Top Bottom