What kind of elm is this?!?

TeT12a_sPiN

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Noticed the tiny leaves on this elm when I was at home depot, figured ah what the hell...

Can anyone give me any more info about it? There was nothing on the label whatsoever. I could be wrong, but I don't think its a catlin elm. The leaves are just so tiny and then you have random "normal" sized leaves scattered throughout a branch. Oh, and the branches that sprout out curl in all different directions and only contain the smaller type of leaves.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20240731_035103.jpg
    20240731_035103.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 20240731_035138.jpg
    20240731_035138.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 20240731_035424.jpg
    20240731_035424.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 49
  • 20240731_035530.jpg
    20240731_035530.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 56
Based on the trunk shape and the fact that it was at Home Depot it’s probably a regular Chinese elm
Yea but regular Chinese elms don't have super tiny leaves like this. That's what is throwing me off.

Yea but regular Chinese elms don't have super tiny leaves like this. That's what is throwing me off.
Yes they do, leaf size varies alot based on conditions.
A pot bound chinese elm produces alot smaller leaves, down to 5 mm long.

Conditions will affect the size of leaves on Chinese elm. Could be that it has suffered (hot, dry, starvation, etc) at some stage so has resorted to smaller leaves.
There's also a range of Chinese Elm cultivars. Seiju has much smaller leaves than regular Chinese elm but this one does not appear to be Seiju. Hokkaido has even smaller leaves but it's definitely not Hokkaido. Catlin elm has smaller leaves than normal but is much slower growing than regular Chinese elm so is not usually used commercially.
I'd agree with the others. You probably have regular Chinese elm with temporarily small leaves but there's still a small chance you have something different so grow it and see what happens. If small leaves persist despite good care then you probably have something special. If the leaves end up normal size with good care you have another normal Chinese elm.

Yea I hear you. To be honest what really confused me with the tree was that in every branch, it starts out with the average, normal sized Chinese Elm-looking leaf. Then, it doesn't continue with those leaves, it spits out minis that seem to weep. You'll see that bigger leaf at the base of every small-leafed branch. Don't get me wrong. I love the small leaves that's why I bought it bc I thought it was unique. Was just curious so I figured I'd ask. Thanks for all the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom