What is your approach to this Austrian Black Pine?

e~b

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What would be your first steps for this ABP? It is just under 2 feet, but with a surprisingly nice trunk, I would like to chop as low as possible eventually.

I was thinking of removing all needles/branches in the middle 1/3 of the tree to allow sun/air into the bottom while keeping the top as a sacrifice branch (potential airlayer opportunity), but wanted to get some experienced opinions.

Ive heard these arent the best for beginners, have too long of needles, etc... but the price and trunk were too good for me to pass up... I just haven't learned my lesson with nursery stock yet 😆

1720047426168.png
1720047337819.png

Attachments

• 1720047304854.png
    1720047304854.png
    623.7 KB · Views: 40
First I’d clear out a lot of the excess needles and unnecessary branches in order to be able to see what you actually have in there to work with. From experience I can tell you that the needles do reduce with proper management. Be aware though that getting these to backbud on wood without any needles is difficult so always leave yourself some options. Corin on his Greenwood Bonsai YouTube channel has some excellent examples about how to go about evaluating trees like this as you dig into them the first time.

Reactions: e~b
First I’d clear out a lot of the excess needles and unnecessary branches in order to be able to see what you actually have in there to work with. From experience I can tell you that the needles do reduce with proper management. Be aware though that getting these to backbud on wood without any needles is difficult so always leave yourself some options. Corin on his Greenwood Bonsai YouTube channel has some excellent examples about how to about evaluating trees like this as you dig into the the first time.
Thanks for the youtube recommendation - couldn't find similar content before posting this. Will definitely check it out

‘Cleaned’ it up… maybe too much. But I think a good start? A lot of the lower branches had some natural movement going on which is cool

Attachments

• IMG_8112.jpeg
    IMG_8112.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8114.jpeg
    IMG_8114.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 40
Back
Top Bottom