What ever happened to Peter Tea and John Geanangel?

Random User

Reaction score
@Eric Group

My major concern with Facebook and other social medias starts with young people. Imagine if a prospective employer could search back to the time when you were in grade 8 and had documentation as to what you did all through your formative years; say to the point where you were searching for a job at age 25. How much stupid stuff did you and your friends do that you'd never consider doing today. Imagine if you were going for a teaching position and there was a picture of you passed out drunk... a pretty understandable situation for a young person(at least once), but could be pretty damning if the employer was a prude.

There was a time when the employers in this part of the world, were searching the Facebook pages of their employees. A number of them were called into disciplinary meetings for things that they had posted. (Often pictures of company property, or disparaging remarks about the company itself) The whole attitude toward Facebook changed over night around here. I'm sure you know the direction I'm going with this, so I won't rant on...

As well, you mention "your position in your world"... would you employ the same care free attitude towards Facebook if you were a revolutionary in Cuba, a gay man in Russia, a minority in today's Syria?

My point is, that Facebook and other social media are simply a tool. It's who has access to that tool that can cause the problem. A hammer in a carpenters hand, is a pretty helpful thing... a hammer in a serial killers hand is quite the opposite...

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Aren't smartphones tracking your movements? my phone tells me my commute times to and from work as soon as i get in my car...Is siri listening to your conversations? or alexa? or the other one? or could they if they were hacked. Do you cover the camera on your laptop? Can your smart TV listen to you? Privacy is extinct.

Random User

Reaction score
@Eric Group

Here is one last scenario for you, then (because we're off topic) I'll leave it alone:

Hey there Eric! This is Robby, your 4th cousin (through marriage). I know we've never met, but I hear you're a really nice guy... I've always heard great things about you. (Other than that "thing" with Stormy Daniels) Anyway, I just want to say CONGRATULATIONS on your 386 million dollar PowerBall win!... can I have some money?... please.

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LOL, yes I actually do cover the camera on my laptop ;)

Seriously, though, this discussion has been very informative for me. I have always avoided FB simply because I don't have the time to spend on it. I have seen the leaders in my other hobby leave the dedicated forums one by one and migrate over to FB, where they are unavailable to me. As a new-ish member I do a lot of thread searching and wondered why some of the older and very wise members weren't posting anymore -- like John G.

I attended my local bonsai club as a guest several times over the past 4 years and found that I did not care for the contentious nature of the gatherings. Where is the fun if the other members are always arguing? I have been so happy to have found BNut!

I even understand about 80% of what @sorce posts :eek:

Random User

Reaction score
"I even understand about 80% of what @sorce posts :eek:"

Take OFF the tin-foil hat!

Random User

Reaction score
:) I'm only kidding, IMHO, Sorce is as nice of a fella as a person could hope to meet.

Random User

Reaction score
"Have you met him?"

Only on this web site, but, if I'm wrong about him, I'm wrong about you as well... am I wrong?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
"Have you met him?"

Only on this web site, but, if I'm wrong about him, I'm wrong about you as well... am I wrong?
I've met Sorce, and the Sorceress, and the little ones. And you are 100% right, Sorce IS as nice a guy as you would want to meet. He is for real. And he does at times talk the same way he writes. Funny, in person I can understand what he says. To be fair, he skips half my posts because they are too long and too wordy. I don't blame him, when I go back and re-read my own posts I think they are too long and wordy. He has more energy than anyone I have met.

He a great guy, I really like hanging out with him.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Have you met him?"

About me? Probably.

About Sorce no. I have met him and his daughter. She is going to drive Sorce crazy, but she is a great person as well.

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
John G is the man, I REALLY wish he would use this site. If you click on his profile though his last quote was pretty anti-bnut. Unfortunate, I admire his work with natives

I'd try to reserve judgement on stuff like this, when people get jaded against a group it's often over-reacting yknow and NM the fact of how groups/mobs can be, that 'drama' recently where a long-time pro was being gagged on a bonsai forum(not here!) almost had me jumping ship from that site (and I'd certainly have left an anti-site quote in that context, though it'd be the mods/those who I was in disagreement with at time of the split, not the site itself / its membership, and I fear it's easy for people to conflate the two and feel insulted if someone has a problem with admins on their board - though for this site, honestly I had to spend a second just thinking "who admins here?" as I've never seen a need for referee'ing this board :D )

I feel kinda silly postin to a non-active thread but I couldn't comment under his videos on youtube (watching BC-collecting videos every AM with coffee in the lead-up to the season ;D ), then noticed he hadn't posted in years and feared death/illness so googled him, and ended up finding this thread..

Are you able to give me a summary/nut-shell version of what happened & why he'd had trouble with anyone? Makes me sad thinking anyone who is genuine & legitimately wanting to participate in the art w/o bothering others would ever have issue..

I was also asking about John recently...
I'd love to see updated pics of his big Crape Myrtle, The Boxwood Path planting, and the azaleas...
Awesomeness, can't wait to find him and going to check FB then! Just watched several of his youtubes, it's funny because the Bald Cypress ones are older and half are like the "here's a still-picture while I talk-over it" kinds of videos, w/ low-res., and not edited-for-brevity by any stretch of the imagination - still loved them, wished I could've commented, at least I found this thread so I can hopefully find him on FB or wherever, sad knowing he seems to be "in exile" from here & youtube at minimum (maybe it's deserved but imagine that such a situation would be common-knowledge, IMO you have to offend very big&clear to get any perma-ostracism!), maybe it's self-exile I dunno am hoping to find out although more keen to find more of his work, I'd never have thought to bring my root-hook with me collecting BC's (so I can easily remove other-plants' roots from my root-mass when first-collected), wanted to thank in-comments but just had to Like all his videos & subscribe to his (outdated/unkempt at this point) youtube channel! Realllly hate saying it like this but I hope he DID do something wrong that deserved some ostracism, because people who do stuff like that (putting out free youtube/etc content of this relatively-obscure knowledge) are truly doing a lot to help this art and should be applauded for it, if he walked away or was run-out I hope it was over something legitimate and not over something like "the BSA drama" bs that occurred in the past year...

The only person from this forum that I have ever met personally was John and he was more than kind to me. He was a really nice guy and I would hope that he is doing well! I also met Ken but I don't recall seeing him post on here. He was also a super nice guy.

It's always nice to find-out that someone you'd seen their "TV persona" is actually nice IRL, thanks for posting that :) Also makes me consider how pretty much everyone, with incredibly few (and minor) exceptions, in bonsai tends-towards being more decent-than-average people, I guess it makes sense / is to be expected in one sense (ie that if you're doing bonsai you're likely: older/more mature, have at least some disposable time/income/etc, are into creating/artistry, etc, those attributes correlate to general 'nice affect'), actually just thinking about this has me realizing that, though I'd basically sworn-off most 'political / current event' posting, maybe the off-topic sub-forums on here or other bonsai-boards could be a neat outlet!! (wow, then I think how I'd react to the first bonsai'ist that I liked who is also a big Trump supporter and how that'd color them in my eyes....maybe I should stay away from political stuff rofl!)

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've met Sorce, and the Sorceress, and the little ones. And you are 100% right, Sorce IS as nice a guy as you would want to meet. He is for real. And he does at times talk the same way he writes. Funny, in person I can understand what he says. To be fair, he skips half my posts because they are too long and too wordy. I don't blame him, when I go back and re-read my own posts I think they are too long and wordy. He has more energy than anyone I have met.

He a great guy, I really like hanging out with him.

Thanks for this, have presumed as much myself and, while I couldn't put words to why, exactly, I would definitely place him in my top-few people from online-anonymity that I'd love to bump-into in some IRL context! Funny(and cool) to hear this though as I just totally pictured him as you describe, his posting is unique-enough to discern some things I think...now self-consciousness creeps into mind and I ponder how I come across.....IRL I'm a fast-moving/fast-talking/fast-walking, wirey/thin('fitness look' lol) guy who talks a mile a minute, doesn't hide his adhd etc etc I imagine my writings here are in a proper-enough accord with how I speak/act generally IRL :)

On this note, what(/where)would you recommend a newbie go to see, maybe even meet, as-many-bonsai'ists-as-possible? I can go to my local club and hang-out with other amateurs like myself (or go solely when a pro is being brought-in for demo's, which is how I've been doing it, have gone to a bonsai-anything precisely *two* times in my life lol, both were my club having demo's, never visited the club outside that although I intend to start in Feb!), but am hoping to know if there's any SE-USA conventions/competitions/etc that I could plan on meeting a lot of bonsai'ists, would love hearing any reco's for such events!! All I know now is "ABS is in charge of the biggest contests", haven't looked into the bonsai-competition world at all lol ;P

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@SU2 there was zero judgement in that statement. like I said in the quote, I think John is awesome. He's in my top 5 of artists I'd like to meet in person. We have spoken online so maybe it kinda counts..
Either way I could care less how anyone feels about this website. I was just adding that it didn't look like he'd be returning too soon.
I love that he works with virginia pine, i have been painfully unsuccesful with that specific species

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for this, have presumed as much myself and, while I couldn't put words to why, exactly, I would definitely place him in my top-few people from online-anonymity that I'd love to bump-into in some IRL context! Funny(and cool) to hear this though as I just totally pictured him as you describe, his posting is unique-enough to discern some things I think...now self-consciousness creeps into mind and I ponder how I come across.....IRL I'm a fast-moving/fast-talking/fast-walking, wirey/thin('fitness look' lol) guy who talks a mile a minute, doesn't hide his adhd etc etc I imagine my writings here are in a proper-enough accord with how I speak/act generally IRL :)

On this note, what(/where)would you recommend a newbie go to see, maybe even meet, as-many-bonsai'ists-as-possible? I can go to my local club and hang-out with other amateurs like myself (or go solely when a pro is being brought-in for demo's, which is how I've been doing it, have gone to a bonsai-anything precisely *two* times in my life lol, both were my club having demo's, never visited the club outside that although I intend to start in Feb!), but am hoping to know if there's any SE-USA conventions/competitions/etc that I could plan on meeting a lot of bonsai'ists, would love hearing any reco's for such events!! All I know now is "ABS is in charge of the biggest contests", haven't looked into the bonsai-competition world at all lol ;P

Get to know members in the closest club. Ask to help them out with seasonal chores, like mixing soil, repotting, etc. the club members will know better where the regional shows are--there are probably some scheduled in the coming months. Some of the biggest exhibitions on the east coast are hosted by the North Carolina Arboretum --Carolina Bonsai Exhibition and Bill Valavanis' U.S. National Bonsai Exhibition up in New York. People drive long distances to those. ABS is hosting its 2019 National Convention in April in Houston (I went to an ABS convention here in D.C. a long time ago. Spectacular event with excellent vendors with exceptional stuff and high quality trees and stock. Also attended an ABS regional show in Baltimore five or six years ago with Ryan Neil and Guy Guidry and a few other notables. Again, really good event with a lot of excellent trees and people.

Getting out and looking at quality trees is key in developing your skills and your trees. If you can, pay for workshop with a traveling "pro" one time. See how you like the pro, the format and the attendees. The Bonsai Society of Florida (I think it's in Venice) , if I'm not mistaken, has a yearly convention. There's also a club auction coming up from what their website says.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I think Peter has been pretty busy with his new Bonsai garden in Auburn, CA., doing a lot of demos and study groups as well as a lot of work on private collections. I've been in a study group that has met 3-4 times a year and he is and excellent teacher.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The ABS, American Bonsai Society, maintains a calendar, where the shows are nation wide. But only lists local shows if the local club requests they list the show. http://absbonsai.org/events

This website also lists up coming events https://www.bonsainut.com/forums/events-exhibits-outings.58/

it is not that hard to find out where upcoming events are. I found that if you go to 3 consecutive meetings, you will know if there are people there that you would enjoy learning bonsai with. And people will remember or recognize you at least by face if not name. Just say hello, and ''what species of tree is your favorite for bonsai?'' and you will be in a conversation that may not finish until an hour after the meeting and you are standing in the parking lot talking. Its easy once you get past the first sentence.

You are reviving a dead thread that took less than productive turns for a couple pages. But I know Peter Tea personally and through a local friend that has met John Geanangel I know him through only one degree of separation. Both are decent people. Posting regularly in a forum can become a huge time suck. I know lately I've been posting a lot, I know that from April thru July I will be busy, and only post occasionally. Peter Tea is in his 3rd year of getting a brand new bonsai nursery going, he is travelling around teaching and he teaches at his nursery. He wants to update his blog, but other pressures on his time prevent him from doing so. Similar with John Geanangel. He has a full time job, family, and is very active with his local bonsai club and regional bonsai shows, he is regularly out at the North Carolina Arboretum in Asheville, where Arthur Joura maintains their bonsai collection. He is just too busy to spend much time on forums. Seek him out at shows between Atlanta and North Carolina, you will likely meet him and he is very pleasant and enjoyable to talk to. You can also find John on Facebook.

You run into me at shows in Chicago or Wisconsin. PM ahead and I'll make time.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The ABS, American Bonsai Society, maintains a calendar, where the shows are nation wide. But only lists local shows if the local club requests they list the show. http://absbonsai.org/events

This website also lists up coming events https://www.bonsainut.com/forums/events-exhibits-outings.58/

it is not that hard to find out where upcoming events are. I found that if you go to 3 consecutive meetings, you will know if there are people there that you would enjoy learning bonsai with. And people will remember or recognize you at least by face if not name. Just say hello, and ''what species of tree is your favorite for bonsai?'' and you will be in a conversation that may not finish until an hour after the meeting and you are standing in the parking lot talking. Its easy once you get past the first sentence.

You are reviving a dead thread that took less than productive turns for a couple pages. But I know Peter Tea personally and through a local friend that has met John Geanangel I know him through only one degree of separation. Both are decent people. Posting regularly in a forum can become a huge time suck. I know lately I've been posting a lot, I know that from April thru July I will be busy, and only post occasionally. Peter Tea is in his 3rd year of getting a brand new bonsai nursery going, he is travelling around teaching and he teaches at his nursery. He wants to update his blog, but other pressures on his time prevent him from doing so. Similar with John Geanangel. He has a full time job, family, and is very active with his local bonsai club and regional bonsai shows, he is regularly out at the North Carolina Arboretum in Asheville, where Arthur Joura maintains their bonsai collection. He is just too busy to spend much time on forums. Seek him out at shows between Atlanta and North Carolina, you will likely meet him and he is very pleasant and enjoyable to talk to. You can also find John on Facebook.

You run into me at shows in Chicago or Wisconsin. PM ahead and I'll make time.
I've learned a lot from your posts so thank goodness that you do.
I've learned from years of moderating other forums that unless I post and ask a lot of questions and participate, we all don't get much out of a forum. Since I'm a newbie, you won't get much out me other than infectious ambition and enthusiasm. :)

As for the two gentlemen, I can find lots of good stuff when I did a search on them. Good guys they seem.

Top Bottom