What constitutes a mother daughter?

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just wondering if the daughter must be a part of the mother tree or just a smaller tree very close to the mother tree. My wisteria recently developed a daughter which I may or may not keep. DSCN9655 (2).JPGA couple years ago I found these Eastern Red Cedars growing close to each other. Their roots had grown together. It's possible that they came from the same tree making them related, but technically two different trees whose roots have grown together. I kept them without separating their roots. I recently made a penjing with them (an attempt anyway with the materials I had on hand). DSCN9637 (2).JPGBut can I refer to this as a mother daughter or not? Maybe a mother with adopted daughter! I know there are more important questions in the world right now but just wondering....

Mother/daughter is a tree with two trunks of significantly different size/strength, where the taller trunk usually leans over and "protects" the smaller trunk. It is important that the two trunks compliment each other, and that the two trunks together, make a nice silhouette, while either trunk by itself would not be as good.

It is important that the trunks split at soil level as much as possible. This example tree is styled as mother/daughter, but it is hard to tell if the two trunks are actually the same tree. The composition would be much stronger if both trunks were clearly of the same tree.

This is a very common style with Japanese maples, which lend themselves to a feminine design.

mother daughter.jpg

Here is another example. The degree to which the larger trunk relates to the smaller one can be formal, or more informal. Note how they form a common silhouette.

czechi10.jpg

Here is an example that doesn't really work. Note how the trunks don't interact, and don't form a common sillouette. They don't compliment one another.
elm-mom.jpg

Last edited:
Mother/daughter is a tree with two trunks of significantly different size/strength, where the taller trunk usually leans over and "protects" the smaller trunk. It is important that the two trunks compliment each other, and that the two trunks together, make a nice image, while either trunk by itself would not be as good.

It is important that the trunks split at soil level as much as possible. This example tree is styled as mother/daughter, but it is hard to tell if the two trunks are actually the same tree. The composition would be much stronger if both trunks were clearly of the same tree.

This is a very common style with Japanese maples, which lend themselves to a feminine design.

View attachment 458362
Thank you. I searched different sources but couldn't find a definitive answer. I think I'll try that with my wisteria since it qualifies and maybe would make it more unique.

Thank you. I searched different sources but couldn't find a definitive answer. I think I'll try that with my wisteria since it qualifies and maybe would make it more unique.
The challenge with this design is that you have to design two trees as one. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Don't just take two trees and smash them together, or you'll end up with a composition that looks like the last one above.

It is important that the trunks split at soil level as much as possible.
Would you mind explaining what you mean by this sentence? I think you mean the trunks should start single and then move away from one another but I’m not sure. In the first image they overlap, and then move away. In the second picture they’re more adjacent but it’s clear they’re the same tree/base. Do they need to be ‘fused’ at the base?

Would you mind explaining what you mean by this sentence? I think you mean the trunks should start single and then move away from one another but I’m not sure. In the first image they overlap, and then move away. In the second picture they’re more adjacent but it’s clear they’re the same tree/base. Do they need to be ‘fused’ at the base?

He just means the two trunks should start very close to soil level.

@Dragonmaster I think even with the wisteria, the daughter starts too high (for my taste). If it's planted deeper it could work out (essentially ground layering) - but you'd also want to bend the mother to flow left over the daughter, and wire the daughter so it mirrors the mother a bit.

Mother/daughter is a tree with two trunks of significantly different size/strength, where the taller trunk usually leans over and "protects" the smaller trunk. It is important that the two trunks compliment each other, and that the two trunks together, make a nice silhouette, while either trunk by itself would not be as good.

View attachment 458362

Here is another example. The degree to which the larger trunk relates to the smaller one can be formal, or more informal. Note how they form a common silhouette.

View attachment 458367

Here is an example that doesn't really work. Note how the trunks don't interact, and don't form a common sillouette. They don't compliment one another.
View attachment 458369
What I see here is a scolding, overbearing mother in the first photo, a steady, harmonious relationship in the second, and a cold, indifferent mother in the third.

He just means the two trunks should start very close to soil level.

@Dragonmaster I think even with the wisteria, the daughter starts too high (for my taste). If it's planted deeper it could work out (essentially ground layering) - but you'd also want to bend the mother to flow left over the daughter, and wire the daughter so it mirrors the mother a bit.
The daughter actually starts at ground level. The pic is deceptive and it looks like it is coming out of the trunk but it starts at the base. I plan to wire it to come under the mother and like you said mirror the mother as it grows upward, maybe to about halfway up. It might not end up being a true mother/daughter but it still might look interesting.

More proper term is Twin trunk(from same roots). Mother daughter informal more friendly term😌. Personally feel M/D should be harmonious but Twin Trunk does not need to be. Wisteria is really good Literati☺️however might be better without lower branch.

More proper term is Twin trunk(from same roots). Mother daughter informal more friendly term😌. Personally feel M/D should be harmonious but Twin Trunk does not need to be. Wisteria is really good Literati☺️however might be better without lower branch.
I think I'll end up removing it. But for now I'll let it grow. I rearranged it so it is under the mother. If I do remove it I'll do it next year and plant it as a cutting.DSCN9658 (2).JPG

Back
Top Bottom