What are people thinkjng

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's another one. JRP that looks like they took it straight from a nursery where it was grown as a landscape tree, potted it up in a mica pot, did little to no actual work to transform it into anything remotely resembling bonsai, and now they're trying to resell it for thousands.

Screenshot 2022-02-04 210717.png

I bought a JRP of this exact same variety, similar size, at least as much potential for bonsai (if not more) for under $100 from Home Depot's garden center before Christmas from their selection of potted Christmas trees.

Edit: Added a link to the thread for the Home Depot JRP that I bought, for comparison.

Last edited:

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's another one. JRP that looks like they took it straight from a nursery where it was grown as a landscape tree, potted it up in a mica pot, did little to no actual work to transform it into anything remotely resembling bonsai, and now they're trying to resell it for thousands.

View attachment 419029

I bought a JRP of this exact same variety, similar size, at least as much potential for bonsai (if not more) for under $100 from Home Depot's garden center before Christmas from their selection of potted Christmas trees.

Edit: Added a link to the thread for the Home Depot JRP that I bought, for comparison.
But this one is 83 years old!

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Maybe it’s because it says it’s 74 years old. Not sure how one would ver verify that besides cutting the tree open

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Hey guys I sell this #bonsai #givememoney #youareidiot amazing plant 8000 years old aprox styled by kimura himself and in a antique chinese pot valued in 30000 dollars
small-plant-brown-pot_41629-302.jpg

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Look at any of the on-line auctions pricing is ridiculous.
But people keep paying them .
I bid on a plant on-line fair price but then added 80% in shipping packaging drop off fees 25 bucks to hand to shipper canceled sale on the spot.

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
View attachment 418999
Based on this valuation…. My bonsai collection worth almost as much as Bezos at the moment 😂😂😂
I'll try not to comment on that specific specimen, but I see many things that are overpriced on ebay and am always reluctant to base my opinion of value on what anything costs on ebay. IMO, ebay should use "Sell it here because there is a sucker born every minute!" as their site motto.

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well..for the laundering to work, the product has to be sold and no one is going to buy these trees at these prices I dont think.
The way money laundering would work in this situation is that the buyer and seller would work together. The buyer would use illegally gained money (i.e. from crime) to buy the bonsai. The 'problem' with illegally gained money is that you can't deposit significant amounts, or make very large purchases with it. The government would eventually kindly ask you where you're getting all of that money, or why you're buying a $300k house with cash. After this traction however, the seller now has legally obtained money and can deposit it, as the seller can claim he obtained the money with the legal transaction of this bonsai.

This just one way this could work though, there are many, many ways money laundering can be structured.

I highly doubt this is money laundering though.

Top Bottom