What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
ive slowly watched my manzanita turn more and more like this and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I water it everyday, it sits in a position that gets the most sun I can provide- which is from 1 to 5 pm. Does anyone know what's causing the leaves to turn yellow/brown and then fall off at the slightest touch? It seems to only be happening to the leaves closer to the center, while the leaves at the end of the longest branches look healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    346 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    397.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    321.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0505.JPG
    IMG_0505.JPG
    283.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0506.JPG
    IMG_0506.JPG
    443 KB · Views: 99
It looks to me like there is a fungus among us here. They are known for fungal issues. Get it treated!

I don't think I'd suggest a manzanita as bonsai stock for a beginner. Find a club to help out. They'll probably advise you not to water on a schedule, but teach you how to determine when you're tree needs water. Your soil looks pretty good though. Then find an elm or a juniper to get started with. If your manzanita continues to have problems at least you'll have a couple of easier subjects to learn with.

Looks to me like You're watering it to death. On top of that, as has been said , this is NOT an easy species for bonsai cultivation.

I don't think I'd suggest a manzanita as bonsai stock for a beginner. Find a club to help out. They'll probably advise you not to water on a schedule, but teach you how to determine when you're tree needs water. Your soil looks pretty good though. Then find an elm or a juniper to get started with. If your manzanita continues to have problems at least you'll have a couple of easier subjects to learn with.
Thanks, I actually joined our sacramento club, although they only meet once a month so it's alittle hard to wait for answers till then
Luckily I do have a couple elms and one little dwarf garden juniper- buuuut I don't like junipers I hate to admit. I'll lighten up on the water and try finding a location with more sun.

It appears to be both black spot and watering issues. My guess is that the foliage is getting too much water on it when you water. Manzanita can actually take as much water as your other bonsai as long as they are getting sun, the soil drains easy and you avoid watering the foliage.

Make sure the Manzanita is on a bench or pedestal, it needs air circulating to keep fungal issues at bay. Still, humid, warm air at night is prime for black spot fungus.

If you're predicted to have warm humid nites with no wind, put a fan outside blowing directly on the Manzanita.

Progress of many fungal diseases can be slowed or stopped by improving growing conditions.

Manzanita is notoriously difficult, I've killed a couple before giving up on the genus. Even my locally native member of the genus refuses to thrive in a pot for me.

Please also keep in mind that this time of year, Manzanita will be shedding their older interior leaves. Perfectly normal. I still think that minimizing water on your foliage is going to be helpful. IMG_0953.JPG IMG_0954.JPG

Thanks, I actually joined our sacramento club, although they only meet once a month so it's alittle hard to wait for answers till then
Luckily I do have a couple elms and one little dwarf garden juniper- buuuut I don't like junipers I hate to admit. I'll lighten up on the water and try finding a location with more sun.

Usually is possible to find retired age club members willing to help out outside club meeting times. No problem not liking particular kind of tree. No great juniper fan here either;).
Also is known this Manzanita species?

Last edited:
Usually is possible to find retired age club members willing to help out outside club meeting times. No problem not liking particular kind of tree. No great juniper fan here either;).
Also is known this Manzanita species?
There are loads of species within the genus Arctostaphylos.

But everyone is right. No water on foilage, reduce water and do not feed nitrogen.

Back
Top Bottom