weeping trees

One reason you don't see so many is that it is a high maintenance style. Most weeping bonsai need constant wiring and unwiring. Here's a weeping tamarisk video that was made for a demo for the San Diego Bonsai Club[video=youtube;lVo-zEn_kFQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVo-zEn_kFQ[/video]

here is a rather unusual forsythia that belongs to John Ruth of ABS. It won the juried show at the PBA 2013 Spring festival in DC.

IMG_7568_zpse60e97c8.jpg

It's still early on in the training life of this red cedar (Juniperus virginiana), but it is going to be a weeping tree when it is done (also, I guess, a form of literati). About 15 inches from pot rim.

I realize that most people who see this tree in training raise a skeptical eyebrow, but . . . we'll see.

Attachments

• 3-14 weep 2.JPG
    3-14 weep 2.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 38
I did NOT remember correctly. Thanks for the correct info lordy.
Did not realize I stepped on your toes Berob. My apologies. Still trying to figure out how I didnt know. But, what is it they say? "Brlliant minds think alike". Or is it "sick minds..."

Last edited:
I used to hang a small arctic willow upside down in a tree and water through the drain hole. It was not a bad little shohin weeping willow when flipped upright. Low maintenance too.

Thinking about air layering a weeping cherry. Anybody see a drawback.

Here are a couple from recent Carolina Bonsai Expo displays. 1. Bald Cypress. 2. Willow.

I'm sorry but yuck. The bald cypress looks like a wig on a half dead stick.and the willow is really a stick in a pot. Someone cut a limb off of a weeping willow and shoved it into a bonsai pot. Once again sorry if anyone is offended by that statement but it had to be said. Sawgrass's elm chews these two up.

I totally agree on "Rapunzel" the bald cypress. The willow, however, I think is a totally elegant tree.

I totally agree on "Rapunzel" the bald cypress. The willow, however, I think is a totally elegant tree.

I was thinking more in the lines of Fiona from Shrek. Rapunzel is too hot.

One reason you don't see so many is that it is a high maintenance style. Most weeping bonsai need constant wiring and unwiring. Here's a weeping tamarisk video that was made for a demo for the San Diego Bonsai Club

Two things, if you see this! Thanks for the video, I have two pieces that need exactly what you demonstrated on that top chop to blend it in and was quite "confused" as to pulling it off! Another is please PM me as a business person as to what that plant would sell for untouched so I have a ballpark to work with. Again Thank You!

Grimmy

I suppose weeping is like windswept in regards to the difficulty it is to "pull off"

Just as people often mistakenly design a windswept with all parallel branches, I believe a more visually dynamic representation of a weeping tree is one that has a lot of movement and branches that don't just stick straight down.

This is a cherry in a park near me. Although it weeps, each branch grows away from the trunk, many of the primary branches of the tree are upward reaching, and the weeping aspect of the branch increases as it moves away from the trunk. Also there is movement throughout.

I am interested in mimicking this in bonsai. Possibly with an elm.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 32
Although it weeps, each branch grows away from the trunk, many of the primary branches of the tree are upward reaching, and the weeping aspect of the branch increases as it moves away from the trunk. Also there is movement throughout.

I am interested in mimicking this in bonsai. Possibly with an elm.

You got the style figured out...the hard part is doing it in such a reduced scale. Imagine new growth going up on lanky branch but eventually go down due to it's own weight...repeated several years or decades. Very hard to do in smaller scale.

Good luck!

My Washington hawthorn -- weeping and shaggy. 28 inches off the pot rim. Too big for me, these days.

Comments welcomed.

Attachments

• 5-14.JPG
    5-14.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 41
My Washington hawthorn -- weeping and shaggy. 28 inches off the pot rim. Too big for me, these days.

Comments welcomed.

What struck me are the straight and upright main branches. Shorten them as much as possible or create an illusion (or cover w/ foliage) to break the straightness...it should help a lot. Long drooping branches need to be shortened to encourage branch ramification.

JMHO

So im thinking once you develop the primary branch structure, the tree can easily be made to weep, then after a few years remove all weeping branches and grow more natural upward reaching branches, then down the road back to weeping, all the while refining the core structure of the tree and regrowing the apex to keep it all in scale. This means a tree that essentially can pull off two different haircuts. Three if you wanted to do some lame looking horizontal branching also. Or hell, mix them all up at once and have a wild and naturalistic tree (maybe, that is if you can make it look convincing)

Back
Top Bottom