Weekend at Bjorn’s

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some Saturday afternoon wiring. Yet another tree in need of a repot. Which I can’t wait, b/c thing is heavy af.

I’d like to see that apex continue to move right over time, but overall, I’m happy with the progress.

IMG_5233.jpeg

Might also consider this angle as well:

IMG_5234.jpeg

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What happened to the old pot ? Too big for roots I guess?
It’s probably hard to tell, but the old pot was huge. Probably twice the size.

The current pot is a great size (actually a touch too deep), just not the color or shape I’d like to see.

The old pot was also super heavy. I can actually move the tree around now without breaking my back!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It’s probably hard to tell, but the old pot was huge. Probably twice the size.

The current pot is a great size (actually a touch too deep), just not the color or shape I’d like to see.

The old pot was also super heavy. I can actually move the tree around now without breaking my back!
That’s important as well haha easy mobility and too big of a pot .. looking good !

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Repotted the hinoki yesterday. Was still digging out dirt/soil from 5 years ago.

It was a rather aggressive repot, fingers crossed it responds well. 🤞

You should pot that hinoki in a shallow wide pot which emphasizes its height. A deep square pot like the one you are using is appropriate for chunky shohin material.

thin.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with @Bonsai Nut
It would look better in a more shallow pot
BUT only if the root mass can be spread that thin. It's something you can work towards over time.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I agree with @Bonsai Nut
It would look better in a more shallow pot
BUT only if the root mass can be spread that thin. It's something you can work towards over time.
I keep this particular picture in my "bonsai design" file because it is so striking. I wonder if the pot is a special pot that has a recessed area in the middle to allow a little more soil depth. Otherwise I think it might err on the side of being TOO shallow. But I still like it :)

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I keep this particular picture in my "bonsai design" file because it is so striking. I wonder if the pot is a special pot that has a recessed area in the middle to allow a little more soil depth. Otherwise I think it might err on the side of being TOO shallow. But I still like it :)
I would kill that tree if it was in my collection, no doubt 🤣.

As for mine, your feedback is spot on.

I need to get the rootball flatter…which I hope to do over time, as @Paradox mentioned.

Top Bottom