Web on my soil?

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some background:

- I bought this fukien tea 2 weeks ago. Didn`t dare to repot it in new soil now, so I just poured some akadama over to cover the fine roots I could see on top of the soil...Also made a fast styling, prunning and wiring.

IMG_20220617_112402.jpg IMG_20220618_202906 (2).jpg

- Last ten days (and the forecast says next ten), wheather had been rainy with over 90% humidity and 15ºC-22ºC (59-72ºF) in my bonsai garden (wich is also covered with a shade mesh). This is very unusual in my climate
- After reading about the best conditions for this species, I decided to get it into my home at night the last two days.
- I've been watering, only when the akadama looked dry (almost never, as it's been raining...)
- Today I discovered:
a) A very subtle web over the soil (hope you can see it in the pic).

IMG_20220630_124116.jpg

b) Some tiny brown specs in 3 or four of the leaves:

IMG_20220630_132340.jpg IMG_20220630_132423.jpg

Maybe I sound a bit histerical, but I have just applied a bit of fungicide

So, what do you think is going on with this tree?

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Can't see any web, but basing your watering on when top dressing is dry/wet sounds like a recipe for disaster. The roots aren't in the akadama,, so it doesn't make much sense to use the akadama as a guide.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is mold and the reason the tree SHOULD BE OUTSIDE. Mold indicates very poor air circulation and constant dampness. I don't really understand why you brought this tree inside because of rain...and temps in the 70's...It will be fine outside.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is mold and the reason the tree SHOULD BE OUTSIDE. Mold indicates very poor air circulation and constant dampness. I don't really understand why you brought this tree inside because of rain...and temps in the 70's...It will be fine outside.

Oh, the forecast said it would be 12ºC (53ºF) outside at night, so I thought of protecting it a bit (I confess I also liked to see it in my home). But it stayed inside only 2 nights, as I put it outside every morning.
No more inside for this tree then. Thanks

PS: The nurserie I bought it from had it inside, and it had been there for at least the last three months....(the first time I saw it there...)

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh, the forecast said it would be 12ºC (53ºF) outside at night, so I thought of protecting it a bit (I confess I also liked to see it in my home). But it stayed inside only 2 nights, as I put it outside every morning.
No more inside for this tree then. Thanks

PS: The nurserie I bought it from had it inside, and it had been there for at least the last three months....(the first time I saw it there...)
Inside what? a greeenhouse, or the house they live in? Big difference

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're right!!....Who would thought two nights at home were so dangerous (in a species that is supossed to be good for inside)...Lesson learnt
Mold is not dangerous. It's an unnecessary nuisance and a symptom of less than ideal conditions. Mold can and does develop on soil surfaces outside in constant damp conditions. It is what it is. All things being equal, outside is better as air circulates and can clear it up faster. You tree is fine with only a couple of days inside.

There is no tree species that is "good for inside." Trees didn't spend millions of years evolving in someone's living room. They evolved living outside. Some species, tropical species, can TOLERATE being kept inside, but they rarely thrive there. Tropical species can live in thick undergrowth and drier conditions on tropical forest floors, so the low light, drier conditions and constant temperatures of a home interior don't kill them as quickly as temperate species which are used to colder temps and seasonal changing daylight hours.

Top Bottom