Water Quality???

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score
How does one deal with watering your trees if you operate on well water that is hard?....Will this kill the tree long term?

Hard water will not hurt your trees. You may get some salts precipitating on the leaves of some species and som deposits on your pots, but no damage.

Hello D'Angelo.. The water probably won't do anything, but fungus will.. Did you go back to check your juniper fungus thread.:D There are a few pages of good information that were posted. Also, how are your trees doing? It doesn't take long for it to wipe out trees.

Rob

I think it depends on how hard your water is and what minerals are present in large amounts. Some people filter their water for this reason. Get your water tested if you suspect a problem.

It is certainly possible for well water to be a problem for plants, even if it's drinkable for us. If you have concerns, have a complete water analysis done. Be sure they test pH, alkalinity, total solids, etc.

Are you seeing symptoms on your plants that lead you to believe the water may be a problem? Do you have to use a filtration or softening system for the household water?

There were extensive discussions about this issue on IBC last year. Might be worth checking out. I think the bottom line is that water isn't often a problem, but it can be...especially if the source is a well.

Chris

My city has hard water. But it is the high levels of boron in the water that cause issues. I have not over-summered trees here yet, but heard from several sources that the boron poisoning causes leaves of many deciduous trees to burn and drop prematurely. The water also tends to create basic soil conditions. I have been all over town and I always look, if not gawk at the landscapes. I have yet to see a Rhodie or Azalea or Dogwood in the whole town... really! It makes for a sad spring.

I spoke with a long time ABAS member at Maruyamas in Sacramento. She said folks here into bonsai install RO filters, AND/OR I really like this option: capture rain water to use in summer when the salt levels are highest.

We get a paltry 10-15 inches a year give or take, I bet Mass. gets way more and even a bit of summer rain too?!? Get some rain barrels, or better yet, a cistern!

Last edited:
I am on a well, but collect rainwater in barrels to water by hand whenever I can. If I'm too busy, I do have auto-watering systems running off the well. But at least it's only occasionally, not every day. I have thought about getting a pump system to feed the water from the barrels, but I don't think I have enough collection barrels to do that anyway, as you use more water from overhead watering than you do by hand.

Back
Top Bottom