Water quality/leaf drop

MomoBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Has anyone ever had leaf drop/yellow leaves across multiple species at similar times? While I think overwatering was part of my problem I also think water quality could have been an issue as well, if anyone has similar issues ever had their water tested? I’m wondering if there is a particular thing I should look for if I get my tap water tested

I recently repotted my large ficus because of leaf drop and even now with the new soil it’s dropping some leaves, pushing plenty of new buds but once the leaves get larger they yellow and drop. A couple of my other species have had the same issue over the past months

Some pictures of these trees would help us see what is going on

Overwatering is definitely one of the causes of premature leaf drop but so is under watering.
Nutrient deficiency could also be a possible cause.
Sometimes leaves drop from lack of light too.
Good quality pictures can definitely help diagnose problems better than a few words.

It would be unlikely that your town water is the cause. Water supply is heavily regulated and very carefully monitored. You should be able to find water quality reports on your water authority website as they are all required to test regularly and publish the results.
It is very tempting to lay blame on someone else, especially if you don't understand all of what they do but the cause of problems is usually much closer to home.

So I did Pick up a meter from Amazon to test PH amd TDS (total dissolved solids) of my city water. pH was ~8.5 and TDS was over 600 and tried putting in filter at garden hose which reduced to about ~400

Seems most my trees are healthy but couple maples struggle more so been researching water myself.

Has anyone ever had leaf drop/yellow leaves across multiple species at similar times? While I think overwatering was part of my problem I also think water quality could have been an issue as well, if anyone has similar issues ever had their water tested? I’m wondering if there is a particular thing I should look for if I get my tap water tested

I recently repotted my large ficus because of leaf drop and even now with the new soil it’s dropping some leaves, pushing plenty of new buds but once the leaves get larger they yellow and drop. A couple of my other species have had the same issue over the past months
It would help if you posted photos of your trees, particularly the soil.

I thoroughly examine my own practices and patterns first. It is usually a case of….what am I doing wrong…..or what kind of soil/substrate am I using….and not a case of the water composition going wrong.

Pics or it didn't happen :)

Back
Top Bottom