Very sick Pine

I have dug up lots of large conifers. With shovel and hydraulic spade.
The trees I dig or dig are or were done at the correct time for such a procedure.
Also they were healthy.
The tree posted isnt.

And if the tree isn't healthy because of the roots, how do you know where the pb comes from ?

I didn't call the advise stupid...
But the actual action would be.....to me.

Roots.
You must dig up the entire rootball to know what the real entire situation is.

Investigate with thought.

S
i don't agree with that.. sorry. you can grabb the tree and move it to see how it moves, if it is well rooted in the soil. then you chek the base of the trunk, you look at the nebari, you see where the roots go, you investigate concretly.
And you play with the words, "i didn't call the advise stupid, but the action would be" .. if i advise you to jup Under a train, the advise is as stupid as the action, isn't it ?

And if the tree isn't healthy because of the roots, how do you know where the pb comes from ?
I can guarantee you...a tree in the ground which is poor. You don't go stressing it more by tearing at its roots. That just isn't common practice. That tree has survived how many years in that spot? I think treating for a fungal issue would be the best first option.

Thing about forums is...the one asking questions has the opportunity to choose what he wishes to take as a first step. Chewing on the information given. People have differencing advice. So what? It's up to the poster to decide which aspect he/she is most comfortable with taking. Or not taking it at all. So why take it personal when one feels opposite of the advice your giving? When a tree is in the ground...stressed already, ripping out its root system when it could be fungal...is bazzare in my thinking. But...let's pause a minute. My opinion is different than yours...so what!?! That's what forums are about.

I will say this...in my years of tending my own landscape. When I had a question concerning landscape trees. Calling out professionals to take a look. NEVER did they say...lets get a look at the roots. They treat the symptoms they see which largely can be treated easily and less traumatic on an already stressed tree/shrub.

People have differencing advice. So what?
I will not answer to you that your advise is "one of the most stupid thing i have ever heard".. i'm not used to be spoken like that in my life and i don't speak to people like that neither

You may consider i'm a fool but with scott pine, with my bonsai friend, we often cut almost all the rootball except the pivot (the big vertical root Inside the soil) when we prepare tree for next spring. we let 1 big root like the pivot or another big root deep in the soil, we cut every surface root and we put back the original soil and water with organic liquid solution + fertilize with organic solid fertilizer. Sometimes the trees are very weak, with few and small needles, and we come back next spriing to see the rootball : the tree are alive and there are new white roots around the rootball. If the tree stays in the same place another year, with enough sun & fertilizer, we can see that new shoots are bigger next spring.. i don't say the owner should cut all the roots of this fir, but i think that cutting some roots wouldn't change anything. Maybe i'm wrong, i disagree because i'm passionate, but i try to stay correct in my formulations

I will say this...in my years of tending my own landscape. When I had a question concerning landscape trees. Calling out professionals to take a look. NEVER did they say...lets get a look at the roots. They treat the symptoms they see which largely can be treated easily and less traumatic on an already stressed tree/shrub.
I have a big and tall magnolia grandiflora in my garden which is slowly becomming weaker and weaker, it has a problem on the base of the trunk, a kind of crown rot.. A pro passing near to my house said to me that this tree should be cut down to stimule new growth but for me, the problem is in the ground..

I will not answer to you that your advise is "one of the most stupid thing i have ever heard".. i'm not used to be spoken like that in my life and i don't speak to people like that neither

You may consider i'm a fool but with scott pine, with my bonsai friend, we often cut almost all the rootball except the pivot (the big vertical root Inside the soil) when we prepare tree for next spring. we let 1 big root like the pivot or another big root deep in the soil, we cut every surface root and we put back the original soil and water with organic liquid solution + fertilize with organic solid fertilizer. Sometimes the trees are very weak, with few and small needles, and we come back next spriing to see the rootball : the tree are alive and there are new white roots around the rootball. If the tree stays in the same place another year, with enough sun & fertilizer, we can see that new shoots are bigger next spring.. i don't say the owner should cut all the roots of this fir, but i think that cutting some roots wouldn't change anything. Maybe i'm wrong, i disagree because i'm passionate, but i try to stay correct in my formulations

There was nothing derogative in my text. You apparently chose to make more of what I said...taking it personal. As you have with anyone who had a different opinion of handling this situation. You do not disappoint, I was trying to explain how a forum runs...one can't take different of opinion personal. Now that I have a feel for you...I will bid your good day. I have your number. I won't do a play on words with you. I have far to much going on in my life than waist my time. (Not meaning to sound harsh but it's the facts)

I suggest this one call a landscaping company who deals with handling issues of landscape trees. How's that...let a professional who deals with diseases and such that effect landscape handle it. We shall see if they wish to dig at the roots or go a less evasive direction.

I must admit...I posted only because of my own dealings with how landscape people have trouble shooted my own issues. They go the least harsh direction and treat it first...and then go further if that doesn't work. A stressed tree doesn't need ripped from the ground if there are other things that can be done first.

I do all my own landscaping...have done so for years. Last year I had a hormone treatment done to the front tree. To store energy and not push as much growth. I am on a first name basis with my arborist who went to Ohio State University and understands diseases and such.

Clem, I won't waist my time on play of words with you. I have better things to do today. For the poster @HannaLawless ...I'd say if your confused about your tree...call in a professional to see if they can offer you sound advice. BEFORE you mess with its roots. Have a good day.
image.jpg

This is a lawless thread!

S

Amused-Bill-Hader-Eating-Popcorn.jpg

Back to the tree at hand.
It looks like the tree has a series of healthy shoots. And a number of shoots droppign foliage.

What I cannot see from the picture.. Are the shoots dropping foliage with or without buds at the end? In other words: Was this plant trimmed earlier? It could then of course just be regular needle drop of branch segments where no new growth has formed due to incorrect trimming timing..

Back
Top Bottom