Unexpected visitor

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well my father n law knows I like trees and came over with a mulberry that he dug up at his house. After cutting everything back this is what I ended up with. Maybe I should have just told him to throw it in his burn pile but I put it in a pot. God help this poor tree if it survives.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
I'd like to see this thing grow. I have something big and bulky like this and have no idea what to do with it lol. Trying to gather ideas.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
let it get bushy for a year or two, it needs to grow a new root system before you start working it.

You got a nice fat trunk. with it looks like nine branches coming off, some dead, most alive. One option is to in the future ''ground layer'' it and develop all the trunks as a clump or grove. Myself I would pick just one branch to make your next segment of trunk and have at it with Dremel or hand carve the rest into some wild fantasy tree. But first you have to grow roots. Put up on the bench in full sun, keep it watered, once it starts growing add fertilizer, and contemplate what you will do with it in 2018. Nice 'yard-a-dori''.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see peat moss in the pot now, did you just put it on top of the rock soil to hold moisture or repot in just the moss?

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see peat moss in the pot now, did you just put it on top of the rock soil to hold moisture or repot in just the moss?
It's spagnum moss to help hold moisture in the soil and also help surface roots hopefully.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's spagnum moss to help hold moisture in the soil and also help surface roots hopefully
Yes I meant to say spagnum moss, but was wondering if you had remove the original soil. I understand this was place on top of it. It appears to be happy whatever it is in.:)

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes I meant to say spagnum moss, but was wondering if you had remove the original soil. I understand this was place on top of it. It appears to be happy whatever it is in.:)
Yeah it's just on top the tree is still in Napa oil dry.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I know everyone say that mulberry are though....well they are though with me alright...:confused:

I never manage to keep one alive till now and the sudden death generally happens when I disturb there roots for some reason.
Last year I potted an old one, even bigger that yours, and it started to bud like crazy.
Then I accidentally flipped the pot with the garden hose while I was watering. I realized it immediately, put back the pot vertical and replaced the soil properly but it had already started dying and never stopped... :( Now I have the log to put a tanuki on it...

Good luck with yours and if, by mistake, I end-up giving you an advise about mulberries please disregard. :D

Top Bottom