U.S. climate most similar to Japan's bonsai growing area

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
While surfing the net, I found an interesting bit of info. It seems Raleigh , NC and Viginia Beach, Va. are climate "sister cities" to Kyoto, Japan. Kyoto is considered one of the main hubs of Japanese bonsai culture. Growing popular Japanese varieties would probably be easier in those two cities. Virginia Beach, Va. is zone 8a. If you live in Northern Michigan or Southern Florida you'll probably have to "adjust" accordingly.

While surfing the net, I found an interesting bit of info. It seems Raleigh , NC and Viginia Beach, Va. are climate "sister cities" to Kyoto, Japan. Kyoto is considered one of the main hubs of Japanese bonsai culture. Growing popular Japanese varieties would probably be easier in those two cities. Virginia Beach, Va. is zone 8a. If you live in Northern Michigan or Southern Florida you'll probably have to "adjust" accordingly.
I’m a few hours south of Raleigh in Charlotte right on the 8a/7b line and mountain maples and black pines love it here. I would be interested to try some other Japanese species here.

Sister cities have nothing to do with climate or environmental conditions.

They're about mutual cultural exchanges, business etc. Va. Beach has five sister cities

Moss, Norway, Ards and North Down Borough, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom, Olongapo, The Philippines and Waiblingen, Germany.
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua is also a "Friendship City" of Virginia Beach

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/n...five total,Friendship City" of Virginia Beach.

Quick Google search says that Kyoto is considered USDA zone 9.

Not even the same zone as Va Beach….

There's some cool maps for the US like this:

1698846662430.jpeg

1698846727746.png

1698846786358.png

Can't comment on their accuracy, but they usually seem to find the same or similar answers. Which also match the comments so far regarding Japan specifically.
Obviously, putting 'Japan' somewhere is not going to be that accurate because the entirety of Japan is elongated North to South. And plastering 'China', which has a huge range of climates itself, is of course even more problematic.
So the city map is maybe better.

Last edited:
I don’t think so. It looks like Tokyo is quite a bit warmer at zone 10, while D.C. is zone 7.

It seems you're right. It looks like the average minimum temperatures are above freezing. It's no wonder Japanese Maples seem to struggle so much with late frosts.

In general, it looks like the southeast coast is warm year round, since the mountains block cold air flowing down from Siberia.

Comparing climates is very tricky. Japan is an island nation and its weather is ruled by the sea. The eastern U.S. is on a continent and its weather is connected to a huge land mass (weather typically moves west to east-which means we get drier air and more extreme temps. Weather conditions aren't really comparable.

Comparing climates is very tricky. Japan is an island nation and its weather is ruled by the sea. The eastern U.S. is on a continent and its weather is connected to a huge land mass (weather typically moves west to east-which means we get drier air and more extreme temps. Weather conditions aren't really comparable.
Not only because it is an archipelago, as PR is an island and the weather is near the same year long, but because of the location and the elevation of terrain. Japan has everything except tropical weather depending on where you are.

But since the two cities below were brought up as "climate twins" I have the below bookmark to check places I would like to travel. I find interesting that on average Kyoto has almost 1000hrs less of sunshine per year. This may be a reason why JMs fair better over there. Also, there is plenty of rain during the hot months of summer vs VA, and less rain during winter when the plants are dormant and don't need it.

1698853470754.png1698853494961.png

It's nice to know that Kyoto is similar somewhat to Virginia Beach.

I've been to Virginia Beach in early until late spring. Can't say I enjoyed it climate-wise. It got much to hot too quickly.

Then again I live in a cool and mild part of the country...

Yeah... colorado really is like the Afghanistan of gardening 🤣
Not sure if you're joking but Afghanistan really is pretty similar to Colorado. High mountain range through the middle part, fertile valleys, not much rain, hot in the summer, cold in the winter...
1698945482465.png

Can't comment on their accuracy, but they usually seem to find the same or similar answers. Which also match the comments so far regarding Japan specifically.
Obviously, putting 'Japan' somewhere is not going to be that accurate because the entirety of Japan is elongated North to South. And plastering 'China', which has a huge range of climates itself, is of course even more problematic.
So the city map is maybe better.
thats awesome

Not sure if you're joking but Afghanistan really is pretty similar to Colorado. High mountain range through the middle part, fertile valleys, not much rain, hot in the summer, cold in the winter...
View attachment 515791

Half joking... we certainly do have a steppe climate here. I've heard that its a bit like the Mongolian steppe as well. Its also a difficult place to garden!

Back
Top Bottom