Two new crabs

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'm not sure I could be as bold as Brian. I tend to like the look it has going on. Only thing I see would be this apex area. And remove the thicker branch on the left. Since it creates a long straight line in the trunk. Keeping the one on the right of it. I've a thing for a natural look...and this actually appeals to me.
Well, that’s why your trees look different than mine. I spent my first 10 years working with leggy branches without movement and taper, until I hit the point that I realized if I don’t make the tough decisions now, I’ll hate that part of the tree, and everything growing past it, forever. It’s not bold, it’s practical and thoughtful toward the future development of a good tree. Here is a perfect example of: if you want trees that look like my trees, do what I do.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, that’s why your trees look different than mine. I spent my first 10 years working with leggy branches without movement and taper, until I hit the point that I realized if I don’t make the tough decisions now, I’ll hate that part of the tree, and everything growing past it, forever. It’s not bold, it’s practical and thoughtful toward the future development of a good tree. Here is a perfect example of: if you want trees that look like my trees, do what I do.
Nothing meant to discredit your talent or trees Brian. I sort of like the initial look of what was there in that one in the bonsai pot. That's all.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The only thing I have used to seal cuts with is Duct Seal. I read that crabs should be sealed with a medicated sealant. Is that so, and what would anyone recommend?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
According to Brent, this one is vigorous and gets twiggy. You already have this in a Bonsai pot, so I’d be tempted to cut it back about like this:
View attachment 240642
I made the cuts shortly after you suggested. It's bouncing back pretty well. chopped.jpg

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Crabapple is closely behind elm for it's ability to backbud after a severe chop to a leafless stem. It's much less likely to backbud significantly when in leaf and just cutting a branch back by a few nodes. It's reaction is to just throw a single shoot most of the time, sometimes a second will start behind it but is quickly held in check by the leader. This leader will need pinching again to get both moving.

This has been my experience anyway with a floribunda I've been hacking away at for several years now.

Top Bottom