Two New Additions to my Collection

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@M. Frary thank you for this definitive statement. one of the things ive found frustrating is the lack of definitive info.
This is really helpful and im happier knowing that its best for the tree never to repot at the wrong time and just manage watering etc based around the soil that they are in.

im interested what your thoughts are on bare rooting bonsai when repotting. is it better to keep soil there and only bare root when its really tangled and solid around the base of the tree?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@M. Frary thank you for this definitive statement. one of the things ive found frustrating is the lack of definitive info.
This is really helpful and im happier knowing that its best for the tree never to repot at the wrong time and just manage watering etc based around the soil that they are in.

im interested what your thoughts are on bare rooting bonsai when repotting. is it better to keep soil there and only bare root when its really tangled and solid around the base of the tree?

If it helps, I bare root everytine. Nearly every tree I’ve had, I’ve moved from a heavy organic soil to inorganic so I’ve bare rooted it. To me, repotting means bare rooting. I assumed this was what it meant to everyone.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I bare root elms and hawthorn at repotting time. They're the only deciduous trees I have. Oh,one cool hornbeam I collected this Spring.
Conifers, I tend to go easier on. Pines get soil changed out in stages. Tamaracks get one year in a colander,swamp muck and all for a year,then bare rooted the next spring.
Junipers depends on my mood but I pretty much bare root them too.
On the subject of elms,I'm quite merciless on root work. They can handle it at the right time of year.

Top Bottom