Tsuga canadensis collected

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I had a thread for one, but not the other. Really just experimenting at this time. Winter pruning- now, or a later prune closer to Jan/Feb? I’m a bit to the north of you

I’ve done in January, to no ill effects, but with that cold spell about to come through.. some recommend early Spring, but well before the buds begin to swell.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I did a mid winter cutback this year after last year’s repotting. It is 2 years overdue for a good styling.
I have noticed a trace of what might be Adelgid and gave it a spray with some 3/1. 1058EFBB-F5D3-41DA-9B4C-FBD34566B2A3.jpegA9D5CE8E-2EE0-433B-AADD-6C556F23FFA8.jpeg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did a mid winter cutback this year after last year’s repotting. It is 2 years overdue for a good styling.
I have noticed a trace of what might be Adelgid and gave it a spray with some 3/1. View attachment 469486View attachment 469488
Looks great . I’m jealous . This is why so many bonsai enthusiasts up here . Start Tropicals . It’s not even mid winter everything is in hiding . Winter is just so dam long . My trees are froze in the dark 😂😂

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks great . I’m jealous . This is why so many bonsai enthusiasts up here . Start Tropicals . It’s not even mid winter everything is in hiding . Winter is just so dam long . My trees are froze in the dark 😂😂
Yup, I definitely have my tropicals to get me through the winter. We’ve only seen a few flurries that didn’t even stick this year. A really mild winter other than the polar vortex over the holidays.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m wondering if there is enough interest . Amongst B nut . To start a thread or a study group . Specific for tsuga Canadensis Input from any tsuga grower will of course be welcome . But there are enough uniqueness to eastern hemlock . And Carolina. Hemlock . Tsuga Caroliniana That I feel . A specific place to discuss . There ups and downs . Would be beneficial to the few of us that grow them . Any takers

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is certainly easy enough to start a thread, and I am game. I post enough about this one and my “Depot Hemlock” that I wouldn’t want to drown out other contributors.
I do have a batch of 7(?) little ones that I picked up this past summer, that I may be able to vary my training strategies to compare methods. I think I’ll repot them all into a single Anderson flat this Spring.. chop ‘em back and arrange the roots.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have noticed a trace of what might be Adelgid and gave it a spray with some 3/1. View attachment 469486View attachment 469488
I was thinking in the next year or three I’ll try thread grafts to try a bring the growth back in on some of the long branches. I do also want to repot lower into this pot as well. If it is real vigorous this Spring, I may try a late Soring repot to take care of that.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not great photos, per usual, but I wanted to share that this one’s buds were getting moving. I cut back pretty hard in the the fall and winter and not tons of back buds to show for it. I’ll probably do some cutting back to the back buds before it gets too busy, and then let it run.
Next Spring I’ll pot lower in the pot and maybe go after the shin some.

Attachments

• IMG_6454.jpeg
    IMG_6454.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6453.jpeg
    IMG_6453.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 37

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not great photos, per usual, but I wanted to share that this one’s buds were getting moving. I cut back pretty hard in the the fall and winter and not tons of back buds to show for it. I’ll probably do some cutting back to the back buds before it gets too busy, and then let it run.
Next Spring I’ll pot lower in the pot and maybe go after the shin some.
It’s starting to look like more than a tree in a pot 😎😎

jradics

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Try scoring the pot just under the rim all around...an old saw (or hacksaw) will be perfect. Then get a chisel and put it on the groove then tap lightly/gently with a mallet. Do this all around until the top pops out. :)
angle grinder with diamond blade (for concrete/tile). The blade will cost more than the tool if you dont have one. Harbour Freight is your goto place

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
angle grinder with diamond blade (for concrete/tile). The blade will cost more than the tool if you dont have one. Harbour Freight is your goto place
I have the Sara Rayner pot now, but good to know for the future.

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Top Bottom