Trying my first bonsai

Osaka7

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all, I’m new to the forum and to the world of bonsai. I’d like to try to revive this Japanese maple that has been neglected and have a go at my first bonsai. Have a couple of questions.
1. Is it possible, as in is the tree too large already to turn into a bonsai?
2. After I pull it out of the ground, what size pot would be suitable for this?

Thanks
IMG_5423.jpeg

My first thoughts about this tree is it needs more shade. It looks like the sun beat it pretty hard this year. Do you know the cultivar or is it a regular green maple. There’s potential there for a decent go at a bonsai, but it needs to be healthy and vigorous before you get to chopping it. It will also help us give you more climate specific advice if you add your location to your profile. Also…. Welcome to the nut house!

Thank you! I think it’s a regular green maple. Yes, we’ve had a pretty hot summer here in Sacramento but it’s actually in a shady spot. Even yesterday it got up to 99*F. My wife was doing all of the watering and it looks like she’s didn’t give it enough this year. I will take over the watering and hopefully I can bring it back to life.

To answer your other questions, yes, it could make a bonsai. I'm a novice myself, but have gained a few years of experience.

You have a couple choices... keep in the ground for faster trunk development, or dig it up in spring as the buds begin to swell and put in a grow box with good bonsai soil. A third option is a bit more for when you gain experience... to use it for air layering into many trees.

I'm in Southern CA, but lived in Davis for a couple years, so I understand the Sacramento summer heat. The heat and dry air are probably what got the leaves all crispy. I've found that mine are best kept in dappled shade under a large tree. The ones I've had out in the sun always get crispy at this time of year, which screws up my fall colors.

If you decide to leave it in the ground, just learn to take better care of it. Fertilize, water properly, keep the bugs at bay, etc. Let it grow.

If you decide to dig it up in spring, you'd probably also chop it down. It will sprout new branches in spring and summer.

The good thing about J. maples are that they are widely used and understood in the bonsai world, so there's tons of info out there. However, you've already landed in the absolute best resource, bonsainut.com!

How’s it going neighbor :) Thanks for the tips. I think I’ll try to dig it up in the spring. “Chop it down” as in propagate it? Also, what size box would work for this type of tree? Would I put it directly into a small bonsai ceramic pot?

How’s it going neighbor :) Thanks for the tips. I think I’ll try to dig it up in the spring. “Chop it down” as in propagate it? Also, what size box would work for this type of tree? Would I put it directly into a small bonsai ceramic pot?
“Chop it down” refers to cutting the trunk down to size. Down to what size? That depends on the size of tree you want and the taper of the trunk. Some people are over eager and put trees in pots too early, but it's more a matter of how much time you have. If you put it in a box, the growth will be stronger than in a pot, so all questions are on the scale of it depends...depends if you will be growing out the trunk taper, how many years you want to wait and so on

Gotcha. I have a lot of learning to do. I can see how people get obsessed with this!

Oh yeah, it's happened to everyone here. 😊

In very basic terms, this is how I understand trunk chopping...

You grow the trunk first. Everything above the trunk helps it gain thickness, so don't chop until the lower part of the trunk is as thick as you want. Let's say you chop it as 6". After chopping, new branches will sprout on the stumpy trunk. One (or more) of those will eventually grow to become the next segment of trunk. When that's as thick as you want, you chop that down to 4". Then new branches sprout out of that. One (or more) eventually becomes the next segment of trunk. Each segment of trunk should be less thick than the previous one. Over time, you gain movement and taper in a trunk.

That's a very basic explanation, but it's what I'm referring to as far as chopping it down.

Here's a nice progression that I randomly found: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/carpinus-broom-progression.35394/

A grow box is usually just a wooden box that you make that will fit the roots plus a little more room. A grow box is slower than growing in-ground, but faster than a pot and much faster than a bonsai pot. There are tons and tons of examples on this site for you to check out.

As others have said, nurse it back to health first and get it to the trunk thickness you want. After you collect it, then the fun begins 😃 👍

Back
Top Bottom