Trunk chopping of bald cypress, early summer

FWIW, take a look at container grown BC, in large and extra large sizes. They don't have much, if an fluting even in 65 -200 gallon sizes.

Attachments

• 65g-bald-cypress.jpg
    65g-bald-cypress.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 41
@rockm the one posted above with the yellow marks was a single root that was able to escape out of the bag and ran around the bag itself inside the saucer full of water. I am going to artificially induce that same concept in the batch of seedlings I am developing now, just waiting for the "washers" to do their deed and choke the tap root to start developing the flare. More to follow Spring 2024...
Still not enough to develop much definition or allow the roots to become vigorous enough to push a ridge on the trunk. That requires in-ground growing for the most part, allowing the root to extend yards and yards,

This vid shows knees, root run and fluting on wild BC.

Sorry for my phrasing. I meant I would plant it in its pot in a bucket of water. However I’ll only fill the bucket to the level that covers the bottom roots. I wanted to plant it in gravel because that’s the only rock type of material I have for a larger pot, so is potting soil a good substitute for lava rock pumice etc? I have enough lava rock to mix some of it with potting soil, however not enough to fill the whole pot. I could put it in a pot with that mix of soil and lava rock and then put it in a bucket with water covering its bottom roots.

Sorry for my phrasing. I meant I would plant it in its pot in a bucket of water. However I’ll only fill the bucket to the level that covers the bottom roots. I wanted to plant it in gravel because that’s the only rock type of material I have for a larger pot, so is potting soil a good substitute for lava rock pumice etc? I have enough lava rock to mix some of it with potting soil, however not enough to fill the whole pot. I could put it in a pot with that mix of soil and lava rock and then put it in a bucket with water covering its bottom roots.
I would go with one or the other: either potting soil or an inorganic mix. Mixing the two is just a waste of more expensive inorganic granular soil. Now, you can still use an inorganic mix to fill in around the root ball with field soil still attached, just don't make a mix of potting soil/inorganic.

Here's a question for you: what does the gravel look like? Is it smooth pea gravel or rough crushed?

If it is rough crushed and relatively small (<= 1/4 inch), you can just mix in lava/pumice to fill out the rest of the container. If you don't have enough for that, there's a cheaper option that'll work for the time being.

You can use either the straight potting soil (I wouldn't recommend but it probably won't kill the tree), or you can amend the potting soil with some cheaper stuff than lava rock. I've used vermiculite, perlite, pine bark mini nuggets, chicken grit (which is just crushed granite, also known as gravel, but perfectly sized) and turface (baked clay) or floor dry (diatomaceous earth chunks, not powder).

It's really up to how much money you want or can spend. But either way, yes, do the bucket/tray with only partial root submergence.

@rockm the one posted above with the yellow marks was a single root that was able to escape out of the bag and ran around the bag itself inside the saucer full of water. I am going to artificially induce that same concept in the batch of seedlings I am developing now, just waiting for the "washers" to do their deed and choke the tap root to start developing the flare. More to follow Spring 2024...
I’m curious how this washer technique will work. I have 3 seedlings I planted through washers last spring. So far it’s making the base swell a little but nothing crazy. Hopefully they put on some girth this summer. I also planted a forest planting through a piece of ridged plastic with holes in hopes that the bases will swell and roots will fuse into something really interesting. They have quite a ways to go. They were tiny whips.

I would go with one or the other: either potting soil or an inorganic mix. Mixing the two is just a waste of more expensive inorganic granular soil. Now, you can still use an inorganic mix to fill in around the root ball with field soil still attached, just don't make a mix of potting soil/inorganic.

Here's a question for you: what does the gravel look like? Is it smooth pea gravel or rough crushed?

If it is rough crushed and relatively small (<= 1/4 inch), you can just mix in lava/pumice to fill out the rest of the container. If you don't have enough for that, there's a cheaper option that'll work for the time being.

You can use either the straight potting soil (I wouldn't recommend but it probably won't kill the tree), or you can amend the potting soil with some cheaper stuff than lava rock. I've used vermiculite, perlite, pine bark mini nuggets, chicken grit (which is just crushed granite, also known as gravel, but perfectly sized) and turface (baked clay) or floor dry (diatomaceous earth chunks, not powder).

It's really up to how much money you want or can spend. But either way, yes, do the bucket/tray with only partial root submergence.
It’s pretty small, and rough crushed. I have tons of the gravel so I can mix it with the lava rock too. Depending on how much field soil I get with the tree I’ll either surround the rootball with lava rock or fill the container with a mix of the gravel and lava rock. Why would you not recommend the use of potting soil, at least 100% potting soil? Does it not retain water as well as inorganics?

For me, I will use only potting soil for cases such as yours. I won’t use pumice or bonsai soil even if I have it. That will be saved for when my BC is in good rough form, with primary branches and apex set and ready to be in bonsai pot.

I’m curious how this washer technique will work. I have 3 seedlings I planted through washers last spring. So far it’s making the base swell a little but nothing crazy. Hopefully they put on some girth this summer. I also planted a forest planting through a piece of ridged plastic with holes in hopes that the bases will swell and roots will fuse into something really interesting. They have quite a ways to go. They were tiny whips.
Should be the same as air-layering the tree, pushing roots radially from above the washer. widening the base. I don't see them choking on the washer until after the summer equinox.

It’s pretty small, and rough crushed. I have tons of the gravel so I can mix it with the lava rock too. Depending on how much field soil I get with the tree I’ll either surround the rootball with lava rock or fill the container with a mix of the gravel and lava rock. Why would you not recommend the use of potting soil, at least 100% potting soil? Does it not retain water as well as inorganics?
@Cajunrider says that he does 100% potting for new trees, so there's a chance that I've just not had luck with it or our climates are different.

Potting soil and other organics usually are better at retaining water, so much so they can cause root rot on other trees if it gets compacted.

The main issue I've had with potting soil with BCs is wash-out and compacting (exposing roots being the main issue). The soil ammendments mostly help with preventing compaction or reducing it. Washout can be prevented with the right container, screens, or just being really careful when you water (which I'm usually not).

On a smaller scale, the one bald cypress I have in 90% potting soil has never done as well as the other two (one with amended soil at about 75% potting soil, the other with a small grain mix of floor dry, vermiculite, perlite, pumice fines, and pine bark). Apparently that's just me, so take that advice with a grain of salt.

Why would you not recommend the use of potting soil, at least 100% potting soil? Does it not retain water as well as inorganics?
Everybody has different experiences with soils. I like to use inorganic because it is easier to transition into a bonsai pot without having to disturb too much the center of the rootball. The BC that I have was collected by @Cajunrider and the center of the rootball is full of the potting soil he uses, but all the soil I added is inorganic. It doesn't matter in my case as I have the tree in water all the time, but it will play a part once the tree becomes a bonsai in a pot.

Mid April as received.
1686426141802.jpeg

Rootball was not disturbed and the tree was moved into a bag

1686426121978.jpeg

Today

1686426175094.jpeg

Wow Cajun… I should’ve known about your bald cypresses earlier. Would’ve definitely bought myself one.

I’ll just not disturb the field soil that comes with it and surround the rootball with either. I think climate is gonna be the deciding factor in it. Not sure if I should use potting soil or the other now. I may still use the mix of gravel and lava rock because I’d assume Pa weather is more similar to Tennessee weather than Louisiana weather. But then again cajun is the cypress master.

Wow Cajun… I should’ve known about your bald cypresses earlier. Would’ve definitely bought myself one.

I’ll just not disturb the field soil that comes with it and surround the rootball with either. I think climate is gonna be the deciding factor in it. Not sure if I should use potting soil or the other now. I may still use the mix of gravel and lava rock because I’d assume Pa weather is more similar to Tennessee weather than Louisiana weather. But then again cajun is the cypress master.
I am far from one. That would be some one like @johng or @BillsBayou and others. I am an unabashed enthusiast, however.

Use cds… most washers, even fenders, are not large enough in my experience. Here are the results of a 1 year old seedling grown thru a cd during its second growing season. 3C539D4A-0226-4E25-9797-C1FD21E0CAA1.jpeg3C539D4A-0226-4E25-9797-C1FD21E0CAA1.jpeg

Use cds… most washers, even fenders, are not large enough in my experience. Here are the results of a 1 year old seedling grown thru a cd during its second growing season. View attachment 493926View attachment 493926
Very nice and thank you for the photos John. The CD is a great idea! I bet 5 gallon bucket lids may be a good option as well. Time to go get some CD’s at goodwill.

Very nice and thank you for the photos John. The CD is a great idea! I bet 5 gallon bucket lids may be a good option as well. Time to go get some CD’s at goodwill.
Also genius. I bet I could use some of our old plastic storage containers that have seen better days as well.

I have a couple of lids from food grade tubs that'll do the trick as well.

Based on personal experience, I would not recommend using pea gravel or anything like that as a substrate, especially for trees in large containers. Sure, you can grow trees in it. The problem is that it adds a very significant amount of weight to the container, making it a PITA to move around and do work on the tree. Lava, pumice, akadama, perlite, oil dry, turface, and perlite are all ok as substrate materials. Pea gravel is just too dense, lacking porosity. Pick something else. Your back with thank you for it.

Back
Top Bottom