Trident Potting Advice

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So i have a trident i had to wash the root ball (fungal issue) ive dropped it in a pot a couple of weeks ago.
a new pot has turned up which was planned for it (ordered in September!) the leaves have started opening (can see the leaf shape)
ideally my plan was to drop it in its pot and leave it for a few years after the root wash and let it properly recover.

Now the the new pot is here, thought on lifting it into it, no root cutting but the loose soil will be repacked.
gut feeling is im on the fence but interested in thoughts.

20210329_123318.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the stage at which I would expect your tree to just have started to push roots again. I would leave it alone and just put your new empty pot next to it. Anticipation is often so much better when extended!

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
ok cheers guys, i'll leave it be. I have a nice display of empty pots, happy to add another to it for the year :)

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I would leave it alone and grow wild to build up energy for next spring repot.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I am having the same exact dilemma right now except I repotted last week excepts there's no leaves on my tree yet, and I think it won't be out for another week or two. Same deal for me ?

BonsaiMatt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am having the same exact dilemma right now except I repotted last week excepts there's no leaves on my tree yet, and I think it won't be out for another week or two. Same deal for me ?
Same deal, I would leave it. What's to gain? These are the type of decisions you look back on after the tree is dead and say dang it, I knew better.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i wouldnt even ask, id just do it and i doubt it'd make the slightest of difference at this stage. the amount of times ive uprooted trees because either i didnt get the angle right in the pot or i simply changed my mind. unless the other pot is considerably smaller its not gonna notice!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Same deal, I would leave it. What's to gain? These are the type of decisions you look back on after the tree is dead and say dang it, I knew better.
you do realise many maple enthusiasts re pot at the stage its at now right, some before and some whenever they want and have healthy trees. the tree looks healthy. regarding fungal attack, i swear almost every second trident maple thread on this forum is about fungus on my trident. it will be fine.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@BobbyLane you are right, ive done this a number of times too, tweaked angle or changed pot front etc, never bothered the tree. I know trident are normally pretty robust, i guess my caution in asking was the fact that its weaker from fungal attack last year (so far clear, thank you copper!) and root washing it.

pot display, just for fun! big Walsall Ceramics pot at the bottom is reserved for the trident :) still work in progress as I keep taking pots for repotting
20210330_123513.jpg

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
what species is it, trident also?
most people re-pot regular maples when they are just opening the leaves, this is to make sure the max energy has moved from the roots to the tree. if its not properly woken up yet there isnt really any stress on the root system so should be fine

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You can repot a repotted tree without any problem for a week or so after the first root prune. After that it is likely the new roots will have started growing. Fresh white roots are incredibly brittle and many may be damaged if the tree is disturbed. Many species can cope with that and will just set about growing new ones a second time but that does take some extra resources. Healthy trees from vigorous species like trident can usually cope but not all, so each person will need to make a call on how lucky they feel, what species it is, how long since the first repot, how much root pruning was done initially and how carefully they can do the second transfer.
I have occasionally had fresh root pruned bonsai blow out of a pot or get knocked over by a dog, child or other 'helper' in the grow beds. I just pot them up again and almost all have survived. Most plants are far tougher than many of us give credit for.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
what species is it, trident also?
most people re-pot regular maples when they are just opening the leaves, this is to make sure the max energy has moved from the roots to the tree. if its not properly woken up yet there isnt really any stress on the root system so should be fine
Its a Vine maple. There's buds all over but no leaves yet. I changed the pot today without cutting roots because I already did that couple weeks ago already.

Top Bottom