Trident Maple - Leaves showing my lack of knowledge/experience

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh dear :(

If that’s the case my last resort would be to keep the bonsai super small and force dormancy by putting it in a freezer for 3months..... (sad face)

Acer discolor?!?!?!? What????!!! You solved the mystery that I have been struggling so much with!!!! ?

Thank you!!
I'm new to Bonsai but a freezer would be to dry and no humidity. I have read about cold rooms for giving tree a dormancy period, not sure if it would be worth looking into for you. As for checking PH levels in water and soil you should be able to order Strips for soil testing off amazon. For your water Pool testing kits should have a PH side as well as Chlorine although you are not checking for Chlorine. If pool testing kit want work there should be kits for testing PH levels in your water just do a little research and you will find what you need.

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thank you, I’m in the Bedford View area. I see my tridents have sort of pause in their (presumably deteriorating state) and put out a few leaves. The maples and oaks in the streets seem to be on their last grip of their leaves-
Hi Dante

I have been off the page for quite awhile so sorry I missed your post. Tridents are loosing leaves now due to the cold.

Have you thought of joining a club. That way you can be with like minded individuals.?

mikeTF

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you, just five replies here in this thread and I have learned more than I did in a months research which is limited to how can I say this politely.... “ill informed, confusing and down right incorrect information”

Thanks again guys. Now that I even have my favorite plants scientific name, I will try putting a cheaper nursery stock in each corner of the garden and even in the freezer if I have to.

Hopefully there is hope for the one I have ?
I do not recommend using the freezer, acer buergerianum stores a lot of water in its roots and freezing them will kill the tree. A refrigerator is a better idea. I find have deeper pots or a second pot helps with the vigor of my tridents. I'm in zone 10A. Acer Truncatum I hear do well with heat too.

Top Bottom